Question about Aero jazz pickup tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bino, Aug 30, 2004.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    There are soundclips of an Elrick with Aeros on I love that tone (especially through the thunderfunk). Is that the typical tone of Aero jazz pickups, or is it mostly likely attributed to that fine Elrick? There's not an Elrick link on the bass page, but you'll find it on some of the amp pages.
  2. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    THose clips do sound good....some it's the bass, some of it's the preamp.

I have a Lakland Skyline Daryl Jones with the jazz single coils and love it. It's just a touch gritty, nice bottom and has a nice wide p-like spectrum that fills out the sound nicely with a band. If you solo either pu there's some noise, but not like other single coils I've used.

I'm actually thinking of building a 5 string with Aero's to try and cop a similar tone.
  3. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004

I agree that the Elrick is going to contribute to the tone (it was a NAMM bass so you know it is top o' the line), as well as the Demeter 18volt pre. . . but let me say, I used to own an Elrick single cut fretless (pink ivorywood board- someone here owns it now and has a picture as his avatar), and that had the Aero J's in it with a 9 volt Bart pre. For me, Aeros are the best J's on the market today, of the ones I've played. I loved the tone of that bass, and I don't think you can go wrong with them. I spent a good hour and a half speaking to Larry about them and his other pickups one day and I'm having a custom set put in the Fodera 6 that's being created for me. The best pickups money can buy, for my tastes.
  4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had a set and they sounded more vintage than the Elrick clip but the Elricks pickups look closer to the bridge than a normal jazz. A great choice if you're going for a killer vintage Fender tone and can handle 60 cycle hum. (the hum is like any single coil, not just aero's)