Question about aguilar setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElMon, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Okay guys, I have always respected the opinions offered up on this site as being quite accurate (at least 98% of the time).
    I currently play a DB 680/QSC 850 combo through two GS112's.
    Guess what I'm going to say next.
    This rig put's out amazing low end, but almost no midrange definition. Suprise suprise. You all were right.

However, rather than ditch the cabs for another (I like the "300lbs." of melted chocolate sound), I am wondering if the addition of an aguilar 210 cab-gs or s series- would give me the note definition and midrange that I'm after, thus= the best of both worlds.

Oh, and if you have any suggestions about how to hook this up to the QSC, that would be helpful as well.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    On the back of your power amp it should have 2 speakon outputs.

You get a speakon connecter and plug one end of the plug into your cab and the other end into your power amp.

I've read the user manuals for the RMX series and channel one is for the low end and channel two is for the high end so i dont know how you would divide it up. But i dont even know if it would make much of a difference.
  3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Nice setup! I'm aiming to get something like that. Right now I have a 659 and a QSC and I'm currently working out how to get two 112's.
  4. pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    i have a gs 210 and it puts out good mids and highs but i have to boost the bass to get a good low end. nothing to complain about but i am seriously considering adding a 12
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It won't. The channels are fundamentally identical. You can run either frequency range on either channel. The remarks on Page 12 are just an example of how the amp can be rigged.

I think you're on the right track going for a 210 cab. Twelves are close cousins of those "tone-sucking muff monsters," the fifteens.
  6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

Thanks, but I actually was wondering how to hook up all three of these cabs, GS 210 + (2) GS 112's.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    with the parametric eq on the 680 you shold be able to inject a good amount of midrange definition into those cabs. When i had a gs-112 i used the semi parametric of my eden or the bandpass filter on my alembic superfilter to boost the mids with good results. The eq on the 680 should be very good for doing this. You should experiment with boosting various frequencies with a medium bandwidth, and then adjusting the bandwidth to taste. Don't be surprised if what sounds good in a full band setting doesn't sound great when you are playing by yourself. Mids are like that.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can use the speakon to one 112, and then use a 1/4" to 1/4" cable to hook the 1st 112 to the 2nd one using the parallel 1/4" inputs on the back of those cabs. Then you can run the 210 off of the other side.
  9. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    The tens will make a big difference. I use an Aguilar S 210 on top of GS 412 and it is the perfect balance in tone.

As for hooking it up, If the 680 is like my Eden navigator and has a crossover, use that to send lows to the 12's and highs to the tens. If not. I would look in to getting a crossover of some sort. Even using a 2 channel EQ will work.
  10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Great advice all around.
  11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Don't forget to take impedance matching into consideration! Are all of the cabs 8 ohms? I believe the GS210 is only available in 8 ohms, but the GS112's come in 4 or 8 ohm versions. Make sure the amp can safely operate into the total load. Just my $.02.

By the way, I run a GS210 and one GS112 powered by a Mesa M-Pulse 600. Plenty of bottom and punch for most rooms. The Aggie cabs are somewhat "mid-shy," so I tend to boost the mids a little on the EQ depending on the room.