1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about album review

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SNOTROCKET56, May 17, 2011.

1. SNOTROCKET56

SNOTROCKET56

Mar 13, 2011
    Anyone know a good way to get a legit album review from someone credible? I looked on the web and im not really finding anything

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Credible could be tough, depends on what you mean and who you are.Rolling Stone is probably not interested unless your band is already in the big time.

Do you want national, regional or local credibility?

3. SNOTROCKET56

SNOTROCKET56

Mar 13, 2011
    hah def not national man like rolling stone
    i just wondered if there were any sites or anything
    My band just put out a cd and i just wanna get some outside feedback from people who do that on a regular basis.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Local newspaper might be the way to go. They are always hurting for something interesting to print. You want to start at that level for it to be of any value. If you have a local underground paper that caters to artists that would also be a way to go.

My band has gone the route of having those internet reveiws done, I thought they were worthless.

5. Local newspaper or sort of hip scene sort of thing. Here in he Denver/Boulder area we have Westword, Yellow Scene, and The Onion that do this sort of thing. Also, college radio and/or campus newspapers are good bets.

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yes, that what I was getting at. Here in Milwaukee we have The Sheperd Express and The Onion.

7. SNOTROCKET56

SNOTROCKET56

Mar 13, 2011
    got the local newspapers in the works, just seeing if there was anything else.
    thanks for the input gentlemen

8. Testing_123

Testing_123

Jan 23, 2011
    WMass, USA
    I'll echo previous posts:

• The local "alternative weekly" newspapers tend to be arts/music focused and receptive to local talent -- if you're reasonably near a metro area there will be something around.
    • You can be pretty well-assured that every college campus newspaper has a few music junkies on staff who believe they will have a career as a music critic. (I was one of those misguided saps. Got a lot of freebie music, went to some cool shows, even got to interview Karl Alvarez of The Descendents backstage at First Ave in Mpls. It was awesome.) Let those chaps hone their writing craft (and give your band exposure) by reviewing your work.
    • There are A TON of music blogs out there that do music news & reviews -- some will consider any/all sorts of music, others focus on particular genres. Google will be your friend. Take a look at their prior reviews -- you'll be able determine how "credible" (or at least knowledgeable and articulate) they are as reviewers.
    • Any radio stations (commercial/public/college) in your area that host a show dedicated to local music? Drop them a line.
    • Stop by your local independent music store (used record/CD shop) -- see what mags/zines are on the shelves, and ask the staff; they might have some solid leads for you. Heck, give them copies of your album -- if they like it, they might be willing to give it some in-store plays and/or include in the ubiquitous "Staff Picks" displays that many of those shops have. (My theory: support your local independent music shop, and they will support you.)

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    The most useful feedback we got on our last EP came from Hello Music.
    HELLO MUSIC

But we're all registered with em and stuff, I believe fees were involved.
    The feedback was extreemely well thought out and useful for us.