Question about Alembics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Keech, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I notice that some of the models--particularly the standard-type bodies--have what resembles a pin-type receptacle. What is that? Is it for a DI box or is it external power connection to avoid a possible dying battery onstage? Just what the heck is that?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IFAIK it's just an unbalanced output (plus power supply if installed). I's not a balanced DI I think.

In the 80s and early 90s it was quite fashionable to use a Canon (XLR) jack because you could lock it (there are lockable phone jacks available now). Unfortunately this resulted in the jacks being ripped out of the bass occasionally when you tripped on the cable or got it stuck somewhere and pulled on it.
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Bassart1 is correct on the details, however, as good as the Alembic website is, they don't talk much about the DS-5 or DS-5R. This link goes to a thread at the Alembic Club that provides a bit more info. "Mica" in the thread is Mica Wickersham. She is president of the company and daughter of the founders, Ron & Susan Wickersham.

Alembic Outboard Power Supply

This is what the older model "floor box" power supply looks like (from an eBay listing).....

And here is how the rackmounted DS-5R looks

BTW - don't be distracted by the wierd EQ settings on the SWR. The pre-amp is bypassed in favor of the F-1X. Now, those settings I can't defend...;)