Question about amp capacity (weight)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrisMoser, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Okay i have a behringer 400 watt combo with 2x10" speakers. It weighs a good 80+ lbs and i just got a behringer 4x10 cab to go with it. Is it safe to set my combo on top of the cab? id hate to hear wood cracking in my brand new amp. (also for a week or so i had it setting on top and now there are 4 indents on the top where the legs were) thanks a bunch

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Should be OK. You'll have to live with the indents, though. But I'm all about stacking.

3. sorry bout the bump i just really need this answered and i dont wanna risk my equipment on "it should be ok" (thanks anyway though jim)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Bah, it's wood.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'm guessing it'll be fine but I'm not sure of your 410's structural integrity.
    (I weigh 235lbs and have stood on top of my old SWR 410 cab while lifting over a hundred lbs...)
    If your cabs top panel seems to be sagging under the combos weight, you could easly help the situation by simply placing a piece of fairly thick and equally-sized plywood on top of your 410 for reinforcement.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's no problem if they are roadworthy in the first place, since the sidewalls and back and front of the lower cab are taking a lot of the weight anyway. The top could be very thin if properly connected and this would still be true.

Unless the bottom cab was 9 feet wide and 8 feet deep, of course ; }

7. well another point is the top cab is like 2 inches smaller around the base

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Which puts the brunt of the upper cab weight near the edges of the bottom cab, and minimizes stress and sag on the center of its top panel, like I said in my above post.

This is pretty easy to test, as anderbass suggested ; }

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Think of it this way. Have someone heavy stand in the center of a backyard trampoline. Note how far it sags.

Then have them stand right at the edge of the tarp, near the frame. Not much sag there.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021