1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about amp hum.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by najman, Aug 18, 2007.

1. najman

najman

Jul 23, 2007
    New York
    Hey fellas.

I recently acquired the Aguilar DB750 from a fellow TB'er, and let me tell ya, sweetest tone ever. But to the point!

When I power it up, and it does its thing, I get the really loud humming noise coming out of my speakers.
    The humming goes away when I hit the mute switch.
    The humming gets louder as I increase the volume.

Ground switch does nothing.

Its not my bass, because I unplugged it from the amp and the hum is still there.

Its not the cabs because the work with other amps with no hum.

Just so you know, Spector Euro LX-6 -> Aguilar DB750 ->Avatar 2x10neo and 2x12 neo.

Because the hum increases with the volume, I'm thinking that the problem is before the preamp. Any chance this is the tubes? Let me know what you guys think!

THANKS!@#

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The DB659 preamp I used to have did this and a DB359 I tried once also did that. I tried everything I knew to get rid of the hum without success. Needless to say I will not own anything with the Aguilar name on it.

3. najman

najman

Jul 23, 2007
    New York
    I hope this is not a common problem, Ive never heard of anything like this happening before.

Does anyone else have any insight?

4. It's common for units to hum like that when they don't know the words.....

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It is in the preamp, could be tubes but I doubt it. A bad capacitor somewhere is more likely, but that's generally not a DIY option. Easy enough for a good technician to track down, though.

6. najman

najman

Jul 23, 2007
    New York
    Well, its in the shop. I hope its not TOO expensive :p

thanks guys