Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Ampeg B2R and another question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SonofDadBass, Oct 27, 2005.

1. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hello Bassmates,

What is the significance of the red peak light on an Ampeg B2R? Does it mean clipping or is it just a normal function?

Also, many amp heads have either a different input jack or a button for passive and active instruments. Is there a specific name for this? Can using the incorrect input (or setting)damage the amplifier or is it just killing your tone?

Thanks,

Dan

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    It's means clipping. With a B2R, you'll start to accept that as a normal function. Ampeg wattage to loudness is low. And the B2R was a disapointment in this regard. That said, I upgraded it to a SVT PRO 3 and could not be happier.

Also, many amp heads have either a different input jack or a button for passive and active instruments. Is there a specific name for this? Can using the incorrect input (or setting)damage the amplifier or is it just killing your tone?
    [/QUOTE]
    The active input attenuates by 10 to 15 db to compensate for the "hotter" signal from active pickups. It's not mandaotry as you can control this with the pre-amp gain knob.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    One time I got stuck playing thru one of these at a local rehearsal studio. It was driving a Fender 410 + 115 full stack and still couldn't put out any volume until I took off the limiter.

The preamp isn't bad for a solid state Ampeg. But the B2R is so severely underpowered it's really nothing more than a bedroom practice amp.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis

Sorry, dead wrong on that....... You have totally misunderstood....

To start with, there are TWO lights ......

The peak LED on the input is really just to let you know you have enough signal, and not too much... it shows how to adjust the gain knob to match the bass and the amp up....on the INPUT side.

It SHOULD come on some of the time. It SHOULD NOT stay on a lot of the time.

it shows that the input has reached a usable level, but it does NOT mean clipping unless it is on a LOT. In any case, it only indicates preamp level, nothing whatever to do with output

If you assume that is "clipped out" when that light is on, you sure will think it the amp has no power........ but you'd be using it wrong.
    There is ANOTHER light, over by the limiter button. If you have the limiter set "on", that light will indicate when the OUTPUT is clipped, and the limiter is active. You may NOT want the limiter active......or its light.

You can turn OFF the limiter, which is a good idea if you play with a lot of peaks... staccato, string pops etc.....

The limiter just looks for clipping, it isn't aware of your style. It will take string pops and try to cut the level down to keep them un-clipped. That's about exactly the wrong thing to do, and it will make the amp seem anemic......so its best to turn it off if thats how you play.

If you play with more sustained notes, clipping may sound pretty bad, so the limiiter might be very appropriate.....

That's kinda why it has a switch..... to turn it off when you don't want it...... and on when you do......

BTW, since the B2R and SVT-3PRO are nearly the same power, as far as audibility is concerned (about 1 dB) , probably you just never turned off the limiter.... the 3PRO hasn't got one....

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Wow. Underpowered? I have the B2R and thought it was plenty loud. I've heard this complaint before. What kind of settings are you guys playing in?

Oh and isn't the limiter designed to protect the speakers?

6. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The red peak light came on somewhat regularly especially when I played more emphasized notes.

At no point did it remain lit.

The amp was not mine therefore I was not familiar with it and did not want to potentially cause any damage.

But, at the same time, I didn't feel I could have been taxing the amp because the settings including volume were relatively low.

I play rock ala Weezer or Sunny Day Real Estate typically with a lot in the mids. I use a 1970s Univox PBass Copy. The head was matched with an Ampeg Classic 410.

Next time I use the amp I will definitely look into using the limiter button.

Then, I won't be so hesitant to let it ride a little.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

7. participant

participant

Feb 7, 2005
    That was helpful to me too, Jerrold! I've had my B2R for years but am all sorts of new to pushing it as far as it'll go. Thanks.

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Another trick with the B2R I've found is to set the master on 10 and then control your volume with the pre-gain. Different from how you generally set up bass amps, but it works.