1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Ampeg BA115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poit57, Apr 30, 2010.

1. poit57

poit57

Apr 30, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    At my church, I have been playing bass through a BA115 amp for several years. It was powerful enough to be heard through the whole auditorium while the other instruments were playing. A few months ago, we finished a new auditorium and got some new pieces of equipment for our PA system. Now everything is hooked up to be controlled by our soundman The problem we're having is the master volume knob on the amp also controls the volume sent via the line out jack. If we turn the amp up enough for the soundman to have a useable signal, the amp's speaker is already too loud for the soundman to have any control over the volume.

Two questions:
    1. Is there a safe way to run the amp with the speaker disconnected so that the soundman will have the necessary control?

2. Would I be better off trying to sell this amp and replace it with a head unit that can run without a speaker cab connected?

2. Put a DI before the amp? Mic the amp?

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    ^+1

The standard for a setup of this kind at a church is to run your bass into a DI. Take the line out of the DI to the amp, then the balanced out from the DI to the soundboard.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What they said.

5. DI

6. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Sansamp Bass DI They rule!

7. poit57

poit57

Apr 30, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks guys. Our goal was to be able to eliminate the amps on stage and just use in ear monitors, but like I said, the amp was just too loud to be able to mix the sound very well. After the suggestion of the DI, I did more research and am considering getting a SansAmp and eliminating my BA115 from the equation. Thanks again for the help.

8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    We did that with Avioms.. and our church used a BA-115.. I now use my GT-10B as a DI .... You might want to consider something like that.. or maybe a Zoom or a different Boss pedal.. I used to use my Zoom B2 as a DI.. The SansAmp is a great box mind you.. but you might geta bit more flexibility out of getting something on the order of a pedal.. and you'd be surprised how it can enhance your sound.. give yu a broader palette to work with.