1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Ampeg PF-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEndLove, Aug 4, 2012.

1. LowEndLove

LowEndLove

Aug 4, 2012
    Hey I just picked up the PF-500 and the PF115HE! After trying it out I had to get one. My question is since the head is 500w and the cab is 400w would I be able to hook up the PF210HE if I ever felt the need for expansion? And if so would I have to worry about blowing something?

Thanks in advance!

2. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes you can hook up a second cabinet with no problem. The wattage will be distributed equally between the two cabinets.

3. LowEndLove

LowEndLove

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks a lot gjbassist.

4. I own both cabs..........and the amp as well...........you'll have no problem. I would suggest putting them side by side as opposed to stacking them. When you stack them, you'll only hear the top cab. Remember, when running the cabs separate, the amp is only pushing 250 W. I wish Ampeg would have a 4 ohm single cab to use the amp at it's max. I believe they have a 4 x 10 cab @ 4 ohms.

I love my Ampeg.................how about you?

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you like how the 15 sounds, your best bet would be a second 115HE when the time comes to expand.

6. Additionally, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a handle on understanding impedance (ohms). In non-technical terms, the lower the impedance, the more freely the power flows from the amp. The max output rating on the amp is 500w at 4 ohms. The speakers you're talking about a 8 ohms. At 8 ohms, it's something less (maybe 350w?). Two 8 ohm speakers "daisy chained" together results in 4 ohm impedance.

And as gjbassist mentioned power is distributed.

Also, because an amp has a maximum rated output of 500w doesn't mean it's always putting out that power. That would be turned up all the way.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Vertical stacking of cabinets is always better for dispersion.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes I do.

:D

Wouldn't go side by side, though. The biggest benefit to me to stack vertically is that I can actually hear my rig as it sounds to the audience. I hate short rigs unless they're tilted up toward my ears. YMMV and I guess it does, but I have science on my side ;)

9. LowEndLove

LowEndLove

Aug 4, 2012
    I'm upgrading from the fender 75 rumble, and tried out a few different amps. This one won though. I haven't got a chance to open it up yet because as soon as I got home I had to go to work. :l now I'm on TB watching the seconds go slowly by...

I would love to understand more about this. I find it really interesting. Is there a website you know where I could read more about this? Thanks for the info also!!

10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    First point is abysmally bad advice. Best dispersion only occurs when the cabs are stacked vertically. Second point is patently false. Stacked, you hear both cabs better than placed side by side. Third point, the PF-500 puts out 300W at 8ohms, not 250.

Absolutely!