1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Ampeg SVT-CL head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reflexbc, Sep 11, 2008.

1. reflexbc

reflexbc

Jun 23, 2008
    Hi folks,
    here is my question:

I want to use the SVT-410HLF cab with the SVT-CL head. I realize that the head is either 2 or 4 ohms, whereas the cab is 8 ohms. Someone told me it might be possible to plug both outputs of the head into both inputs on the cab, and because the head has a crossover, it would be ok. I don't really understand why that would be, but does anyone have any info on this?
    Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Someone filled your head with a bunch of crap, my friend. First off, the 410HLF is 4 ohms, making it well within the operating range of the CL. Second, using two outputs from the head into two speaker inputs will not only not work to lower the impedance of a cab, but it could fry both your amp and cab. So just plug the HLF into the head normally and you will be fine.

3. Whomever told you that has no idea what they're talking about. It does not work like that.

4. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    IMO and IME that isn't a good pairing. I would look into other cabs to run with the CL.

5. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    How specific of you.:rolleyes:

Try the 810 if you have the means. Try it either way, really. Sounds phenomenal.

6. Jimmy has it right. The HLF is most definitely 4 ohms. No problems then!

7. reflexbc

reflexbc

Jun 23, 2008
    Thanks, guys:
    You were right; I checked the Ampeg site and the 410-HLF is 4 ohms. It's just weird, because at least one website that I rely on a lot had it wrong (Sweetwater.com). That's cool, because although I bet that the 810 sounds awesome, size and cash issues make it less desirable to me right now. Plus, I just don't need that much power (i.e. the ability to move that much air). Down the road, I'll probably get it.
    Thanks.
    :)

P.S. - I didn't sound right to me either, that's why I checked.

8. I played my second CL powered gig last night. I am running two 8 ohm cabinets... a 410HE and a 15E.

It sounds boss, I love my Ampeg!

I do, however, wish I had a smaller 4 ohm rig to make things easy to tote to the smaller venues (like I played last night).

I bet the HLF would sound great.

Let me know amigo.

9. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    The OP could do a search to find info about using the HLF with a tube head. I found the HLF to be way too boomy, muddy and undefined. I would think that you would buy a CL for grit and punch, 2 things I think the HLF detracts from. Although there are those out there that enjoy their HLF's with Ampeg tube heads, it seems there are far more that don't, me being 1 of them.

10. reflexbc

reflexbc

Jun 23, 2008
    Finally got my info straight. The 410HLF is 4 ohms; the 410HE is 8 ohms. I don't know what other differences there are between the two cabs, but at least there is a 4 ohm 410 cab that I can run the head through. I don't know about previous comments on muddiness; I thought that the HLF cabs were designed to be used w/ the Classic series...

11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The 410HLF is ported while the 410HE is sealed. I had the 410HLF + CL for years and it sounds good, but the low end can indeed get uncontrolled/loose/boomy at higher volumes, especially with tube heads that tend to be a bit looser in the bottom.

JR

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The HLF also has heavier cones, and does (or did?) have dished backplates for longer travel.

Probably best for higher power SS amps, but can obviously be used with CL...... You won't be pushing the speaker much, and most speakers seem to work better when pushed.

The CL does indeed like the lighter cone flat back speakers, but you need 4 ohms worth....

OTOH, using the flat back speakers with lots of power may get you that "pistol shot" sound as the coils hit the magnet....... Horses for courses, don't take a thoroughbred for calf-roping....

13. reflexbc

reflexbc

Jun 23, 2008
    Thanks again everyone...

Someone on another forum (harmony-central.com) suggested that if you take the speakers out of the 410CE and put them in the HLF it sounds better.

(P.S. you guys must think I'm "Mister Hearsay," but this is how I learn a lot of information. I'm always just careful to take all info w/ a grain of salt and double-check it. Actually, the people over at harmony central had rather strong words about the fact that I even brought up the subject of this thread, but I told them I wasn't actually going to do it, I was just asking..)

Peace,
    :bassist:

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Why? :confused:

In my experience the CL and 410HLF do just fine together.
    [​IMG]