Question about ampeg SVT CL!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Hello...

~Ampeg Classic SVT-CL all tube head or
    ~Poweramp Ampeg SVP1600 + Preamp Ampeg SVP CL (which is the preamp of the Ampeg Classic SVT-CL)???

Does anyone have experience with these things and..
    what`s better in your opinion ?

is there a big difference? what`s louder?: the all tube head itsself or the preamp in combination with the poweramp???

and greez
  2. wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Ok this is the eternal discusison on ever bass forum ever invented. Here's the scoop. The all tube one is better according to the vast majority. Rich harmonics, overtones, overdrive, and very organic. Punchy, warm as hell, whatever you want to call it, it's beauty. I have have one.

Now onto the "loudness" issue. A watt is a watt, but tube amps can go much farther than solid state amps and have nice sounding breakup. When solid state distorts, it sounds like butt juice and hurts your speakers. So yes the CL is "louder" and will handle ANY gig ever. They've been the standard since the 70s. That's no coincidence. I had the SVT-4pro before I got my CL which is esentially the same thing as your pre+power setup. The CL's louder and better sounding.

*Catches breath* hope that helps
  3. I strongly concur, there's no way my old SWR bass 350 (running a 4-ohm load) could ever compare with my CL in volume. Watts may be watts but ears and chests don't lie!

It would be a joke to even compare them volume-wise.

For the record, I would go as far to say that my SVT is louder through the same cab setup than my CA9 bridged (2000 watts)! I have done the comparison and to my ears that is the fact.