Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about amps and crossovers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was looking at amps today and got some advice that I am not quite sure about. I use a 1x15 bottom, a 6x10 top and an old Randall 300 watt head in my rig. I wanted to add a (passive) crossover to cut some of the mid/high frequencies from my 15 and leave my 6x10 as a full-range cabinet. It was suggested to me that I use some kind of crossover to turn two of my 10s into speakers for my highs, leave the other four as full rangers and then have my 15" be specifically for lows. My original idea was to purchase a Firebass 700 amp and run the crossover into my fifteen and then somewhere down the line, add a seperate power amp so that I can take advantage of the bi-ampability of the Firebass amplifier. Any thoughts on this subject? Help me out here if you can people.

Hategear a.k.a. Cameron(ius)

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    The mids and highs are probably coming more from the 10"s rather than from the 15". Do any of these cabinets have high frequency drivers in them?

I would suggest a modern two channel head who's preamp section has a flexable EQ. Run both cabinets full range and EQ out the unwanted frequency. Giving each cabinet its own amplifier is usually a good thing.

A misconception about 15" cabinets is that they are for low bass when in fact there frequency response doesn't usually go as low as most multi 10" systems. There timbre sounds fuller than 10"s which leads many to believe they go lower.

3. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My 6x10 cabinet has two compression tweeters in it. I was going to buy the Firebass head and get myself a power amp for the lows when I can get the cash together. I was at one time hoping to find a 2-channel EQ that would accept a powered signal so that I could do just what you suggested....EQing out the frequencies I didn't want. I have since been told that no one makes an EQ that accepts a powered input. My thoughts on that is that I need to get into one of these companies and tell them what's what. Most crossovers don't accept a powered in either.

4. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    In addition to the above, I am not necessarily hung up on the Firebass. It's just that it has lots of POWER! Power is good, power is very good.

5. I had a GK 800RB for a while. It had bi-amp capabilities built into it: 300w for the lows 100w for highs. I really didn't notice that much of a difference in my overall sound while bi-amping. I was running the highs into a 2x10 and the lows into a 2x15. Unless you are playing gigs in huge rooms without a PA bi-amping might not be worth it since if you go though a PA the bass is most likely going through a bi or tri-amped system out front. I'd suggest that you keep your cabs the way that they are and buy a really sweet sounding full range head and Eq out the frequencies you don't like. You will be happier in the long run.

Jeff

6. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I agree with Zoomboy. But just so we're clear, the EQ'ing is usually done before the amplifier section of an integrated or head amp, in the preamplifier section of the head.

What your thinking of doing would require two separate systems and is done all the time. You may of heard of people using two SVT/8-10" systems, one for overdrive (wet tone) the other for fundamental deep bass (dry tone).

Another alternative might be an Ampeg SVP/BS (I think this preamp has two separate outputs) preamp and a two channel power amp.

7. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    How come every time I go into a music store, someding-a-ling salesman tries to sell me the "latest" rig setup? This salesman's reason for trying to get me to get rid of my 6x10 and buy a 2x10 was because, "This setup is very popular right now. We sell a lot of this type of setup." When I bought my used head, I was told that no one uses Randall amps, so I shouldn't buy a Randall amp. Like I am just some bass playing lemming that can only buy and use what someone famous uses? The damn thing cost me $100 bucks and has lasted me for 4 years of gigging. In my mind, it was a sound investment. It is only now that I want more power that I need to buy something else. When I looked at a wah pedal a few years ago, I was told I was using it wrong! Hello? Is there only one way to use an effect?
    Salesmen (or women): Just sell me what I ask for and and answer the questions I ask to the best of your knowledge and let me leave the store happy for once.

8. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Damn those typos!

9. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm with you on that! Seems like the old-fashioned "help the customer get what he/she needs" is out the window in favor of "help the salesperson make more sales." It astounds me how many times I go looking for something and cannot find it (unavailable or discontinued); yet everyone is hyping tons of crap nobody really needs!
    - Mike