1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about amps with two channels.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Falcynn, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Falcynn

Falcynn

Nov 11, 2006
    My amp is an old Carvin PB900 which puts out

"450/450 watts/Min. impedence: 2ohms ea. ch."

which I'm assuming means that it puts out 450 watts through each speaker jack (since there are only 2). However I'm not sure about the minimum impedence being 2ohms. Does that mean the total load going through both channels has to be 2ohms (one 4ohm cab in each channel)? Or does it mean that each channel can handle a seperate 2ohm load making the total load going into both channels 1ohm?

If it's the latter, then does anyone actually make 2ohm cabinets? Or would the only way to get the full power out of each channel be to daisy chain two 4ohm cabs per channel (meaning that I'd have four 4ohm cabs in total)?

I don't actually have any intentions right now of getting more cabs. I'm just asking because this question's been bugging me lately.

2. Roma75

Roma75

Jul 28, 2007
    San Antonio
    No one makes 2 ohm cabinets, at least I don't think they do.
    Yes, you can have 2 4 ohm cabs on each channel to get the full power. Any more than that will destroy the amp.

3. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Maybe not, but it wouldn't be hard to wire a 2ohm 2x10/12/15cab. 2 4-ohm cones in parallel and there you go. You could also wire four 8-ohm cones all in parallel, which would be even easier to do: grab an 8-ohm 4x10, rewire it all-parallel and you have a 2-ohm cab. An 8x10 fridge of 4-ohm drivers could also be rewired for 2 ohms. I personally would run a 4x10 and a 2x15 or 2x4x10; YMMV.

4. forget about 2-ohm cabs and just get a bunch of 8 ohmers and have a wall of cabs :D
    four 8 ohm cabinets per channel = 8 cabs in all = a helluv alotta sound + looks amazing :D

if that doesnt float your boat (or rather, if it sinks your wallet), 2ohm cabs are cool too lol

5. Falcynn

Falcynn

Nov 11, 2006
    Thanks for the responces. In the (probably distant) future I might go ahead and get a couple of 4ohm cabs. While having a wall of 8ohm cabs would be an eargasm, I don't think I could stand transporting and lifting that many cabinets ;)