1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bakersk8r556, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. bakersk8r556


    Mar 11, 2006
    Instead of getting a head and a cabinet could i just get a cabinet and hook up my combo that i have now to it??
  2. fdeck

    fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

    Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In general yes. Combo amps differ on how this is done. If there is a jack for an extension speaker, just plug in. The jack may or may not turn off the internal speaker. Or, there may be no jack. In those cases, wiring in an external jack and speaker switch are not prohibitively difficult to do.

    It's not a bad way to go. I did it for a long time, and when I ended up buying a head, it was more for portability than necessity.

    The other thing is, you're probably not in danger of blowing anything up, but now is the time to inform yourself about the amp's output ratings into different impedances, and how to figure out Ohms.
  3. bakersk8r556


    Mar 11, 2006
    Would the combo and the cabinet have to be the same brand or does that not matter at all??
  4. what matters is the cabs impedance (8 or 4 ohms usually for bass), and what your combo's lowest impedance output is

    doesnt have to be the same brand
  5. georgestrings

    georgestrings Banned

    Nov 5, 2005

    Yup - although not definitive, usually a combo that doesn't already have an output jack for an additional cab will have a difficult time supporting another one - either from minimum impedance rating, or a lack of output power(watts) - or both...

    - georgestrings

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.