Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bakersk8r556, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bakersk8r556

bakersk8r556

Mar 11, 2006
    Instead of getting a head and a cabinet could i just get a cabinet and hook up my combo that i have now to it??

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In general yes. Combo amps differ on how this is done. If there is a jack for an extension speaker, just plug in. The jack may or may not turn off the internal speaker. Or, there may be no jack. In those cases, wiring in an external jack and speaker switch are not prohibitively difficult to do.

It's not a bad way to go. I did it for a long time, and when I ended up buying a head, it was more for portability than necessity.

The other thing is, you're probably not in danger of blowing anything up, but now is the time to inform yourself about the amp's output ratings into different impedances, and how to figure out Ohms.

3. bakersk8r556

bakersk8r556

Mar 11, 2006
    Would the combo and the cabinet have to be the same brand or does that not matter at all??

4. what matters is the cabs impedance (8 or 4 ohms usually for bass), and what your combo's lowest impedance output is

doesnt have to be the same brand

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yup - although not definitive, usually a combo that doesn't already have an output jack for an additional cab will have a difficult time supporting another one - either from minimum impedance rating, or a lack of output power(watts) - or both...

- georgestrings