Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about...amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brock385, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Brock385

Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    My band has gradually been opening for bigger and bigger bands, which means bigger audience. My Peavey isn't cutting it anymore. I play for my ska band so the sound has to go through a guitar, drums, trumpet, trombone, baritone sax, and singing. We usually play in smaller venues, auditoriums, etc. (kinda like the size of your ol highschool gym) with crowds around 200, more or less..it will hopefully grow.
    What I wanna get is a combo that's atleast a little easy to move around (around 50 lbs?), and about $300-$500. I haven't been able to get to the store lately, so I'm relying on a Musician's Friend catalog.
    I'm looking at the SWR 10" combo, 80W (not much of a difference, I know), $400. What are some BETTER choices besides this one?
    I just generally need a box that will last me a while, won't empty my parents' wallets, and let me be heard.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    SWR makes great amps but that one (WM 10)won't be loud enough. What model Peavey do you have now?

Best bet for $500 NEW is probably the Ampeg B100R or the Ampeg B115.

3. Brock385

Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    I would like to get a used rather than a new amp because I think that would save me alot. I just need an idea of what models, brands, etc will do the job..

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Tough question as there are LOTS of used amps out there at all sorts of prices.

I'll ask again...what do you use now? Does it really have to be a combo amp (you could go with a head and cabinet setup in your price range)?

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Another thing you need to consider is how much you need your amp to fill the room. If you're always playing through the PA system, you pretty much only need something as a stage monitor, and even that can be played around with, if they can put you through the stage monitors.

Then again, if you don't have the luxury of a PA or the PA is not providing appropriate room and/or stage volume, you may need more power.

With this in mind, can you tell us more about what your needs are?

6. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    For a $300-$500 combo amp that is relatively portable, I'd would recommend you test out these:

A Hartke Kickback 15, 1x15 speaker, 120 watts,
    An Ampeg B100R combo, 1x15 speaker, 100 watts,
    Or A SWR Workingman's 12 combo, 1x12 speaker, 100 watts.

I've found all of them to be solid, reasonably loud, and reliable. Those amp's should be easy enough to find used. Of course, a massive amount of this choice is personal prefrence, and which amp you like the best... these are just my suggestions for gear you may want to try.