Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about an auction bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by erikwhitton, Feb 10, 2003.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hi, i am looking for my first bow, and i do not want to spend a lot of money due to the fact that i may only use the bow for a short recording for a friend who asked if i could play a bowed part on his record.

i looked at lemur as well as www.urbob.com - they both sell a fiberglass bow with real horsehair for about 50-70 USD.

but i found this "high quality, handcrafted, octagonal brazilwood bow" on ebay and I would ike to ask if it would be a better option than lemur/URBOB fiberglass. Let's say the auction went to $100 or so.

I have read through the forum and I am aware of the very sound advice given about trying out a few and making use of a trial period - but I don't think it makes much of a difference for <$100 bows. Am I mistaken here? It would be another story if I were spending $1500 or more.

here is a link to the auction
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16222&item=2507353503

ps - this person sells the same bow 3/4 and 4/4 - what is better? what is the difference?
    Thanks,
    erik