Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about an old German Plywood

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by telarcfatigue, Mar 20, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    I have found a 50-60 year old German Ply that I am thinking about buying. It will be my first URB, and I'm seeking opinions of you guys about a few things.Firstly, this bass sounds and plays very, very well. It is set up with very low action, and a nice slim neck at the shop here in LA. The shop also has 3 or 4 Kays, and this German ply is superior in sound and playability hands down. It has a very dark varnish, and a non-adjust bridge, Spirocores, etc. The bass is $2500. I'm wondering if this is too high for such a bass. I know I could probably get a hybrid newer bass in this price range, so I ask opinions. I played all the basses in the shop, Some Juzeks, some much, much more expensive basses, up to 20k, and this German ply plays as well as all of the instruments in the shop, but I know that to be a set-up issue. It does have a nice warmth that I assume I could not get from a new bass, or could I? Also, I'm sure you all understand that I prefer an older bass, the finish, the character, the little blemishes, scratches, etc. To one of theses Poly-coated shiny jobs, I'll be using the bass for jazz work, so I'm looking for something that can be set-up likewise. I know these low price bass discussions can be tiresome, but your opinions are appreciated sincerley.

2. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    $2500 doesn't sound like a GREAT price for a plywood bass, but its also not out of the reasonable range. Based on your post, you're pretty sold on the sound, playability, and look of the instrument as compared to quite a few others of equal or higher value.

If that's the case, I'd say you found your mate.

By the way, I'm in LA too. The shop you mention seems to have a good supply of basses. If it's not World of Strings in LB, let me know. I'd like to check it out.

3. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    the shop of which I speak is called Stein on Vine, Vine Street and Melrose, Hollywood. It's an excellent shop with about 20 basses in stock for sale, the owner is a bass player and luthier.He also has amps, strings, bags, etc.
    Do check out the shop, tell him Jonathan sent you if you wish, just don't try to wheel and deal on the German Plywood, it's on hold!!!

4. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    You saw through my clever ruse!

Actually, I'm really happy with my bass. It's a German hardwood bass (student model), and about 20 years old. I try not to play too many great/expensive basses though, since I don't have the money to support that kind of GAS. It is just cool to see that many URBs congregating in one location.

I want to check out most of the local bass shops for gear, luthiers, setup, and anything else. So far, I've only been to World of Strings and Lemur.

Thanks for the info, and if I get there before you buy the bass, I'll take a peek.