1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Aphex Bass Exciter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thekage, Sep 30, 2008.

1. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    I saw one of these at a pawn shop for like $40. I am thinking of picking it up and seeing how I like it and if not just selling it because I think I could make a buck or two on it.

The only reason I would think about not keeping it is I already have a EHX Knockout and a Hartke Bass VXL which sound like they do the same thing kind of as the Aphex.. I dunno. I know the Aphex comes highly reviewed though. What are your thoughts?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a little bit different in what it does to the signal; whether that "little bit" sounds good or is useful is totally subjective, depending on your personal rig and tastes.

3. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I have one, and use it sparingly. The best way to describe it? It's like that "Bass Boost" button on the old boom boxes, step on it and the floor wiggles.I saw it reviewed as "a way to make small amps sound huge" Great for emphasis. $40? Grab it, cost me about $110 more when it was new.

4. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Don't know about the EHX, but the Hartke and Xciter are completely different pedals. The Hartke is basically a preamp with a warm tubey sound and mild OD. The Xciter is hard to describe, it makes lows sound deeper and highs sound more lively, makes your speaker cab sound bigger. For $40 I also say get it, you can always sell it if you don't like it. Ask if you can demo it first though, they're not all that rugged and you never know what kind of abuse it may have been through.

5. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Just bought one here in the TB classifieds for $50 including shipping, so, you're right on making a FEW bucks if you don't like it.

I bought it for the same reason you did, t check it out. I also thought for $50 it would be good to have a box with a DI on it.