1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Art Majors and Stoves

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 1: My friend from China is interested in getting her bachelor degree in China and then reading her Masters here, but she doesn't know which art subcategory here is popular and has a lot of job opportunities. What majors can you recommend? She's interested in drawing, painting, cartoons, and design of all sorts.

2: I like to cook, but for some dishes, I need a really strong flame, but my propane tank connected to my barbeque stove just can't offer a flame strong enough. Is there a specific type of portable stove (that I can connect to the propane tank) that offers strong flame? Or can propane only offer so weak a flame?

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    That's not at all what I expected from the thread title.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The only way she's going to have "a lot of job opportunities" as an artist is in creative advertising. That's about it.

Your friend from China needs to realize that part of being an artist is usually picking up a day gig unrelated to art, or being poor.

4. I guess in order to make a living by selling pictures can only be possible if she's one of the best... And as of creative advertising, what majors usually get that kind of jobs? And what's the average salary if she decides to work here?

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Any art or design degree here would suffice, although it's way better if you can find a school that mixes art education with business education. I don't know what the average salary is, but if you're good, the pay is good.

Trying to make a living as an artist is extraordinarily hard. "Making it" or getting any sort of payday is 99% luck. The art world is full of fickle twits with no attention span, so even if you are lucky enough to get up there with the hoitytoities, you've gotta be REALLY lucky to stay there.

6. How about designing? LIke cartoon designing, fashion designing, interior designing, and other types of designing, which offers the best job opportunity?

7. Anyone?

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    None of the above. Design related degrees are also notoriously difficult to get jobs in.