1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Ash Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillFurlong, Dec 19, 2017.

1. I have long appreciated this kind of finish on an Ash body. I wanted to ask if anyone would know what particular kind of oil finish was applied to this ash body to get this particular look for a project bass I'm working on.

Any advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

basscapes and FenderB like this.
  2. ....Formby's?

BillFurlong likes this.
  3. Looks to me like different areas of that particular piece of wood absorbed the stain better than others.
    Maybe it's not so much the color of stain, but the actual hunk of wood used.

I'm a huge Ash fan myself.
    bruce-campbell-talks-army-of-darkness-2.

mpdd, GlassToMouth, hopwheels and 4 others like this.
  4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    If I were going to try it-
    If you want a gloss clear coat, apply an analine stain, wipe off as desired. Clear coat.
    With a tung oil finish, wipe on an oil based stain, wipe off. Oil and buff as desired.
    If you can't wipe off enough, let dry, and rub with OOOO steel wool.

BillFurlong likes this.
  5. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Looks like a walnut stain, and it looks like it has come off with playing wear.

alesreaper9 and BillFurlong like this.
  6. Thanks so much for the input guys. You're the best.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Look at Brichwood Casey walnut stain and truoil to top it. The stain can be diluted with water to achieve the desired shade.

BillFurlong likes this.
  8. Thank you Lug!

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    That was my first thought too.

If I wanted to simulate that, I think I'd try a walnut stain over the ash and then rub it with something like 0000 steel wool to simulate the wear patterns and then once I had it perfect to my eye I'd apply some kind of clear coat over it to protect and keep it looking like that. I've done something similar to this in the past and the stain comes off quite easily if you rub it before you apply any other coats over it. You also can build the stain darker where you want it with multiple coats of stain.

BillFurlong likes this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Put a good coat of stain on the wood, wipe off any excess, Let it dry. Play for a few years. Once it looks right, put some satin poly on it to lock it in.

bassbenj and BillFurlong like this.
  11. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Could be roasted ash

BillFurlong and InhumanResource like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    . If it were roasted, the color would be consistent. Especially looking at the scratches, I'd agree likely walnut stain and normal playing wear.

BillFurlong and allenhumble like this.
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    i heard TruOil takes quite awhile to dry (if ever?) have not confirmed this myself, but have had great success with Minwax Antique Oil.

BillFurlong likes this.
  14. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Post this in the "Luthier's Corner" forum, you'll get some great advise over there also.

BillFurlong likes this.
  15. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    I'm not sure but that wood looks much softer than ASH, with a much looser grain pattern. To me it looks artificially relic'ed as all the other parts are pristine.

I put a tung oil finish on a Walnut P-bass and the first coat took a very long time to dry. Later I found out that you can thin out the tung oil 50% for the first coat and it penetrates the wood deeper, drys faster, and allows for thinner successive coats.

BillFurlong likes this.
  16. I did something similar to an Alder J-bass- took the black paint off and got things to bare wood. Did a billion times of sanding (!) with the various grits until smooth. Covered with an ash woodstain, then beeswax afterward. Lots of buffing. A good project and education in wood finishing!

Wish I still had that axe...

BillFurlong likes this.
  17. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I finished a bass recently with Mahogany Minwax Gel Stain and two coats of Danish Oil top coat, and it's in the same neighborhood as your picture
    . I think if you added in a yellow-ish dye before what I did, it would most likely get you in the same ball park.

BillFurlong likes this.
  18. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Finish is indeed worn, but I think if you open up a communication with Bacchus you can get a definitive answer.:cool:

BillFurlong likes this.

19. Would love to see what you came up with if you have a photo of your work!

20. If you have a photo of the finished product after your hours of hard work I'd love to see it!