1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about ash p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phreddy, May 13, 2006.

1. phreddy

phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    I was recently at guitar center and I played a ton of basses, now usually I’m a fan of p bass but the Marcus miller jazz bass sounded amazing . I freaking love it. It has an ash body and maple board, I was wondering if the choice of wood was the source of that amazing tone, so if any one has sound clips of ash p’s that would be really cool. Just to see if an ash p would sound better to me than the j. cus p has always been my thing.

2. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    The wood would make a difference. However, twin Jazz pups, active electronics and the badass bridge are all contributing to the sound you heard.

3. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Electronics/Bridge make a huge difference, most definitely. However, I have played the ash P, and I found it to be amazing. Like, amazing enough to justify any potential price hike, not to mention only having the P pickup and the baseball bat neck.

4. phreddy

phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    also i was just at musicans friend and i did a search for ash p's and found the 51 ri. i HATE the pickguard but i might be able to live w/ it without the p/g. does anyone have pics of it w/o the p/g?

5. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Actually, I was just today A-B'ing my MIM Fender standard P-bass (alder body, rosewood fingerboard) and my newly acquired ibanez blazer (ash body, maple fingerboard, p pickup in the exact same spot as a traditional Fender precision). Both acoustically and plugged in, the ash blazer produces a tone that is much more bassy and lower-middy than the alder fender. To be fair, it is very likely that the MIM body is not the finest piece of alder they could find, so it might not be fair to use it as a representation of what an alder P-bass sounds like.

6. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    I just ordered an ash/maple 70's resissue P-bass from Japan last night and can't wait until it arrives. I have the feeling it is going to be a very nice bass, just hope it's not too heavy!

bass_vintage.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an Ash '51 Reissue and it is a wonderful bass. I have seen them with clear guards and it looks great. I will have to look for one to put on my bass eventually. The white guard isn't the best looking.

8. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    thats the f bass basic formula, maple neck and an ash body. gives you that hard attacking highs/smooth underlaying bottom you dream of.

9. I admit that on Electric basses, the preamp (or lack of one), pickups, bridge, and nut all have the largest contribution to sound, as they are what come in contact with the string and what amplify the sound of the strings vibrations. So the difference won't be HUGE, but there is definatly a difference between ash and say, alder. I personally love ash. Its one of my favorite tone woods. I'm about to order an Ash '75 SX Jazz bass, and I can't wait. :hyper: :bassist: :D

10. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I have been drooling over that bass for god knows how long. It is my dream P bass. You have to tell me how well it plays and sounds. Im so jealous now! :(

11. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    +1!

When it comes do you reckon you could fix us up with some sound clips?

Also, do you know if the laquer used on the neck of that bass is the same as they used on the 70s Fenders?

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I dont want to steal the thread, but...

How do laquer affect a bass? cause i have a 78 ASH jazz :)D ) and im sure the laquer has been re-done, and its braeking. (the laquer, not the bass).

So could i strip off all the laquer?

or it will affect my sound or even other things?

thanks!

13. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    Definitely, I will post close-up pics and a complete review of this bass once it arrives...I am buying this bass to start playing again and will try to post some sound clips once I get everything set-up. I'm not sure about the laquer and also curious about the finish as well since it's hard to tell from the picture, you could always easily refinish the body though if you can find original laquer. The guys at Ishibashi have been great and I will ask the question when I contact them tomorrow.

14. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    I dont think it'll affect the sound at all, just the feel. And that's what I really like about those vintage Js.

15. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    Just heard back from Ishibashi and the 70's MIJ reissues are finished in polyurethane. No big deal, could always sand them down a little to give it a satin finish look and feel or you could strip it and refinish it with tung oil or laquer.