1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Bartolini P4 with 6-wire dual-switch wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tremblap, Aug 17, 2007.

1. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    Dear all

I've got a very good Pierre Laporte bass with, for each P4 Barto pickup, 2 switch: one parallel or serie, one P-bass, HB, revP-bass

I am very happy, but I have 2 questions:

1) I use to have the wiring pdf somewhere, but cannot find it anymore, neither on this website or on Barto

1.1) Noboy in all the wiiring threads about quad coil talks about this dual switch wiiring... it sorts of worries me...

2) My real question: I have problem with my volume potentiometer, which reacts very unevenly, cutting most of the sound at the begining. I have A500k on each pickup plus a general tone also with a A500k...

Any insight welcome

pa

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

First verify the volume is an audio pot (A, audio, log enscripted), not linear.

Seems P's are invariably in series so I woudn't be concerned about the lack of S/P discussion. I've recently had someone ask me if I'd ever run P's in parallel cause I've never found a P pup I liked.

Out of curiosity is that Bart Quad 8 lead capable or 4?

Bump

3. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    Checked. A500k on each pot...

The P in parallel sounds softer, less bright, I would say.

Definitly 6-wires + ground. I will have to ask my luthier to give me back my paper copy, but he is in Qu├ębec and I am in the UK... anyone has the 6-lead wiring plan in pdf?

pa

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Duh.

Are both volumes acting the same way? If not, I'd swap out the pot that's acting up.

I'm guessing this is something that's changed in the bass and previously it's been fine? If so, then the probability is nothing to do with the wiring but component gone south.

Yep sounds like parallel: lower output, softer, mellower tone. Something like droping a series pup away from the strings.

5. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    Yes, they all act the same way, even the tone...

Anyone has the 6-cable 2-switch wiring diagram?

pa

6. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    I post it here for the community to enjoy

pa

Attached Files:

7. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Bumping for a little clarification. With this setup you will have 2 switches for one pickup which will allow you to run.

Series P-Bass
    Series Reverse P-Bass
    Series HB

Parallel P-Bass
    Parallel Reverse P-Bass
    Parallel HB

If so this is just what I need I am just a little fuzzy on the exact options with this configuration.