Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about barts and "tone"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fiebru1119, Dec 16, 2004.

1. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I've heard from many people bartolini pickups sound great on acoustically bright basses, and I completely agree as that is what I've experieced. However, does this same characteristic apply to their preamps? What I have in mind is a mahogany bodied bass (maple tops), wenge neck, ebony f/b (fretless). If I got with a bart pre and bart p/u's, say their K or CX windings (brighter) will I have to worry about sounding muddy?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think you'll have to worry about it sounding muddy at all. The bart preamps I've used have all been very transparent. They really let the pickups voice come through without coloring it very much, if at all. If you get the brighter winding pickups then I think they would pair nicely.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Barts come in all flavors but everyone seems to go for the deep tone stuff. So it flows they would be appropriate for an acoustically bright bass. In general muddy is not a characteristic Bart trait from any of their pups I've had and probably even less likely on their brighter than darker pups.

I've used their preamps with a myriad of manufacturer pups and prefer them for the most part - and I've had a bunch of them.

I suppose there are some extremely experience individuals out there that can predict the acoustic tone of a bass before it's done, but I personally wouldn't go buying the bright's before the bass was completed.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As luknfur said, it's hard to predict the tone of a bass before it's built.
    The bart preamps are more transparent than their pickups.