Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about bass centre clinic

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Si-bob, Sep 5, 2002.

1. hey Steve,
    i'v never been to a clinic b4, so i was just wondering how it works?
    do you play a few songs then answer questions etc,
    or can people bring their own basses and play along unamplified or what?
    thanks and i'm really looking forward to it

*Si*

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Make sure the doctor has got warm hands before you drop your.... :eek: no, wait - that's the wrong kind of clinic ;)

The clinics I've been to tend to involve the clinician playing a tune or two (often to a backing track unless their thing is solo performance), talking for a bit, maybe answering a few questions and then rinse and repeat as many times as required.

Whether that's dull or exciting depends very much on the clinician - not just their music but also whether they are good at explaining what they do. Having seen Steve do his stuff one or two times, I don't think you've got any worries there, and I've heard that Mr Manring is also rather good :D

It's probably not worth bringing your bass along but I'll leave it to the pro's to chip in now.

Wulf

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, normally when I do stuff like this it starts with me playing a bit, and then goes off into some talk about how and why I do what I do, which can touch on just about any area of life, but generally doesn't stray from music and specifically bass playing for too long... :)

However, as this is Michael and I, we'll probably play a bit individually, play a bit together, field questions, ask each other questions, and generally have lots and lots of fun! We'll have just done two gigs together, so will no doubt have plenty of questions for eachother before any of you get your oar in... :D

rest assured, it's going to be a lot of fun, and hopefully you'll get some useful hands on stuff to take away, though I very much doubt it'll be worth bringing your bass (hey, it's the bass centre, if we decide to get someone else up playing, there are about 200 basses to choose from!!! :) )

cheers

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. yeah, i didn't think it would be worth bringin a bass, just though i'd ask. What time does it start?

*Si*

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    details to follow... patience please... :D

Steve

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Patience is a virtue... and I'm not a virtuoso.

and BUMP

and I just got my tickets for the MM, SL, DF gig in Reading. Only £4! What a total bargain!

:)

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    £4?????????? are you serious???????? I need to have a work with the venue...

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yeah, i've got to admit i thought that was cheap. i weas expecting a tenner, maybe they made a mistake at the box office?

sorry chap. if you're good maybe you'll get a tip ;)

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Howard - where did you get the ticket from? whoever it was has got it very wrong - I just rang the box office line, and it's on their computer as £8 adv/ £10 on the door...

yours, confused of southgate

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    i got the ticket about 1 hour ago from the reading box office at the hexagon. she had a bit of troubel finding the gig, so maybe something was wrong there?

i'll pay the difference on the day, i feel all guilty now :rolleyes:

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    that's really weird - I'd check the date on the ticket if I was you - delicatessen who are co-promoting the show (They did the acoustic night you came to) normally charge £4, so that's probably the confusion... mmmm

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yeah, date on the ticket is weds 6th novemeber and it is for delicatessen.
    it's definitley the right night, they obviously just cocked up at the hexagon. i'll pay the difference on the door, no problemo.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is this the beginnings of a new slogan:

"Never knowingly undersold!! " ;)

14. Grahame

Grahame

Feb 7, 2002
    Wiltshire, UK

I ordered mine by phone at about 3 pm today - £ 4.00.

I had them double check the date etc. because their website has a play listed for 21 South Street that night. They said the website is wrong and my tickets are for Lawson, Manring & Friesen. I didn't query the price though I definitely thought it way underpriced!

We'll see what the postman brings!

Grahame

15. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    well, I've been in touch with the box-office, and they've now got the correct price!!! Boy, even if we sold the place out, we couldn't afford to play there with tickets costing £4!!!! what on earth were they thinking??????

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Dagnammit! I aint gawn pay ate powns fa harf a bleedin band! They aint even got no goddam guitar, tho dat long hair man he play some dawgone bass wit too many streeengs, taint natchural i teel ya.

Oh gosh, sorry, don't know what came over me? :D

17. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Right, I've now got 2,500 flyers for these 'ere gigs - any of you guys fancy handing some out to your mates for me? :)

email me if you do!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk