Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about bass guitar IN guitar amp OUT to a bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oh_the_blood, Dec 19, 2005.

1. oh_the_blood

oh_the_blood

Dec 19, 2005
    i have one of those 50 watt vox valvetronics amps and i love it.

i love it even more when i put my gretsch short scale bass through it with a little distortion and delay.

problem is, whenever i put the wattage up a little, everything sounds like its gonna blow up which i think is bad.

so the question is...

if i buy a bass cab, can i connect it to my vox amp and play as loud as id like considering the internal speaker is muted when an external cab is connected?

would this be safe?

and would i still have all the same features or would it sound worse?

and if so, what kind of speakers do you reccomed? 15" or 10"? with or without tweeter/ horn?

thank you very much almighty ones.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You might be clipping too.

Do you want to use this in a band/venue situation?

3. oh_the_blood

oh_the_blood

Dec 19, 2005
  4. When an amp "clips" it can damage the speaker. A 50 watt amp cranked to 10 on the volume can be bad news even when plugged into a 300 watt speaker.

5. oh_the_blood

oh_the_blood

Dec 19, 2005
    the internal speaker will be muted when plugged into a cab

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    yes, the internal speaker will be muted when teh external is connected, as you say.

however, in that case you will be throwing a full 50 watts or clipped signal at it if you "crank" your amp for gigging levels. the clipping can (will?) damage your external speaker.

then again, ifyou dont crank it to clipping, it's not an issue.

then again, if you arent going to crank it, why not jsut use the internal speaker?

Any chance of running a line out and going into another amp/cab or combo in addition to your setup? that way you get your combo sound you known and like , and then are also using at as a preamp to power a separate poweramp/combo for more volume of the same sweet sound.

jsut a thought.