Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Bebensee basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, Jul 23, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I made a little search for a similar thread, but I didn't find anything... so here it is.
    I did check Ken Bebensee homepage, and I must admit I really like his basses. WHat's the reliability of the used ones? Do they lose a lot of their value?
    Thanx a lot!

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i checked out their website
    cool looking stuff. it looks like he takes cues particularly from carl thompson, with his scrolls on the strap horns, and im reminded of elrick with his single cutaway. i like them.

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I've owned one. I sold mine for $400.00 les than what I had in it. (Unless you account for the two trips out to Cali. to oversee the building of the instrument) What else would you like to know?

[​IMG]

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    You did own one... so you did sell it? What's the resale value of these basses? How is the reliability? What about the new price?
    Last but not least: why did you sell it?

5. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Very good questions. Yes I sold it. I have no idea what the resale value would be. That is determinded buy how much someone is willing to spend!! I don't know about the reliability. I only had the instrument for 5 months. But Ken took 17 months to build it. There is alot of time put into every instrument. Why did I sell it?!? I don't know...Maybe I was having an ACID flashback or something.

6. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Your bass have something to share with the Sereph, don't you think? However it's a beaut.
    What was the new price of that bass? How did it sound/play like?

7. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, it is just a single cut-away version of the George's bass. The new price of that bass would over $4400.00!!!:eek:
    It is...the best sounding bass I've ever played in my life. Played like butter. hmm...butter.

8. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Did it was easy to resell that bass? Would $3,000.00 the Sereph would be a fair/decent/bad deal?

9. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    It all depends on if you like the bass or not. Never buy a bass unless the person will let you have at least two days to look it over. Play on it for some time. $3000.00 is a good price for the sereph. Is it for sale??
    No. It was not easy to resell the bass. People are very, VERY picky when buying an instrument of that cost. Which I think is odd because 8 years ago folks were buying Gibson Tobias basses for over $3000 and loving it. Strange world.

10. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    It's not for sale... uhm... not for sale. :rolleyes:
    However you're right, it seems a really particular instrument.
    What about the sound? Your bass had the same strings spacing of George's bass? What about the finish? Is it like the Thumb bass' one (oil)?

11. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah it was an oil finish. It accutally looked like motor oil!! I think it had a little wider string spacing. A tad wider than a Foder AJ6.

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I really don't understand why you did sell your bass. It really looks stunning, and as you know, it did play like butter... WHYYYY????? ;)

13. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Perhaps it was to good. Maybe I felt that I didn't deserve such an instrument. Or maybe it was that it smelt like toe-jam. I really can't remember.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the Sereph is TRICK!!! i played George's bass- had it for a while , actually-- it is a beautiful work of art- is George selling it?

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I understand... however you have very good taste!

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe

No, I was just curious. I did check Bebensee page and I was spoiled :cool:

17. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Look dreadhead. If you would like an instrument that also happens to be a piece of ART. Order one from Ken. If you just want a bass. Buy a BASS!!

18. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, you're right... this could be the reason for which you did sell your Bebensee, don't you think?

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Dan- you know what's funny? the Sereph smelled funky! i thought i may be the oil on the finish, or the gig baag, but i remember thinking there was a very distinct odor to it- i dont know if you were being serious before, but it reminded me of that-
    awesome bass, tho--

20. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Wow!! Yeah, it is the oil Ken uses. I think It smells great. Smells just like his shop!! Or maybe it just smells like Florida. Isn't that George's home state?