Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about binding wood together????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panic_striken, Nov 10, 2005.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Say I was gonna make a custom bass for myself............ok. I would like to use two different types of wood, but in order to do the design I will have to cut thr main piece in two in order to inlay the second. How do you go about binding or glueing the body back together. In the way that it is seemless looking and is sturdy???? Kinda like when people do stringers or whatnot.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    There are a number of books on this subject. Also, if you scroll down you'll see a luthiers forum. There are some n00b links there, too.

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    My suggestion is find a luthier and get a gig as his apprentice for several years. This is a real craft done by talented artisans. Probably not something easily taught to yourself.

That being said, you need a piece of wood shop machinary called a joiner, the right vices and glues. I believe they still use hide glue. Perhaps a high school shop teacher could help you or a cabinet maker.

Stu Mac has books on how to build instruments.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Guitar,_electric.html

4. This should be in the Luthiers Corner. They could help you.