Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Black Korina w/ oil finish...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DaveCustomMade, Oct 21, 2004.

1. If you have a Black Korina body, and finish it with Lindseed Oil, after it has thoroughly dryed, will your body oils effect the wood afterwards [such as turn the area another color]?

The next bass I do I'm wanting to have very little in the area of finishing since I have no place to spray polyurethane. I understand that Black Korina and Wenge don't require any sealing. Is that right?

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Black Limba is VERY different from Wenge.

Wenge is a very hard, dense wood (and when working with it it ALWAYS gives me slivers!)

Black Limba is a softer wood, about like alder, and it is a very porous wood. It can and will soak up a lot of finish.

I have had very good results with using Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil sealer, and then their Polymerized Tung Oil. I use the process outlined in this link for wet sanding the oil in, and have been VERY happy with the results, especially on the end grain.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jpaquay/oil_fin.txt

The only change is that I first put on 2 heavy coats of the Tung Oil Sealer and do not wet sand them. I start wet sanding with the Tung Oil itself. I do this to cut down on the amount of oil/dust slurry from darker woods into the grain of the lighter woods. Otherwise, it is a great oil finish process that does really work!

To answer your other question, yes, it is possible after prolong use and limited care, for an area on an oil finish that can show wear from sweat and other use.

3. I misrepresented.

The body would be the Black Limba. The neck and fingerboard would be Wenge.

Just to clear this up even more, all the parts will be from Warmoth.

Thanks for any advise you may be able to offer!

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    "Wenge is a very hard, dense wood (and when working with it it ALWAYS gives me slivers!)"

Me too and I use it on almost every bass............I must be sick :D

5. the best is when you catch it at a bad angle with a rasp and it just splinters away. :scowl:

6. Would you just pay Warmoth to give both the neck and body a satin finish and save the trouble?

7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yes, probably. Warmoth do a very nice job with their finishes, and it would save you a ton of trouble to have them put a nice finish on it for you.

:^)~

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    But But then you wouldn't get to do all the cussing and bitching that goes along with finishing an instrument :rolleyes:

9. Is Black Limba & Black Korina the same wood (dif. names)?

10. Yes, they are the same.

I just finished a Black Korina body with a satin wipe-on polyurethane that turned out really well. I used 4 coats without filler. The finish did a great job of sealing the grain and it looks like a nice oil finish. It's much harder than what you would get with oil. Korina is kind of soft and dents easily so I wanted that added protection.

I applied it in the same way I've seen recommended for oil finishes. Just wipe it on with a paper towel and smooth it with 0000 steel wool between coats.

Looks awesome, very natural with a bit of an amber tint.

11. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yes, Black Limba and Black Korina are the same thing, different names.

:^)~

12. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I find putting on the wipe on poly with paper towels some times leaves fibers of th epaper towel in the finish. I find better results with using a no lint cloth...........t