Question about Blue Notes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 6, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was wondering what the best way to harmonize a blue note is. For example, it's relativley easy to harmonize all the degrees of a major scale because all the notes are relevant to each other. The relevant third of a C is E. Pretty easy stuff, but I'm wondering how you would go about harmonizing blue notes. (either with yourself or another instrument)

For example, in a lot of bluesy/jazzy stuff I play, I'll do this walk up that sounds really cool harmonizing the relative 3rds an octave up from the orginal note. If I'm walking up to a C starting from a G, it would look something like this. (sorry about my crappy tab)

I used what would be an equivlent to a minor 3rd on the blue note in between the A and B. I think it works fine.

This doesn't seem to work when harmonizing other blue notes such as the one that falls inbetween the 4th and 5th degree.

My question is, how do I got about harmonizing other blue notes, do I just try a major or minor interval, Is there a certain scale that they follow, or am I wrong in trying to look at blue notes as something to harmonize in the first place. :confused:
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

DOH! Didn't realize that you were already part of that thread. If I understand your question correctly, you're trying to harmonze a major tonality and you've already got something that works for scale degrees 1, 2, b3, and 3, right?

In your example, if I'm reading the TaB right, you're outlining:

Bbmi..(biii, or passing chord)and

Right so far? If you wanted to continue, you could go:

C#dim.(#iv dim., a passing chord)
    F#dim.(vii dim)

This leaves out the b7, but you won't be missing much by leaving it out. If you really wanted to use it, I'd use a minor 10th above the root and just walk up to the vii chord from there.

Hope this helps.

3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Ahh, thank you very much, that helps shed some light on the subject. It's like looking at a blue note almost as if it was a chord onto itself.