1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Bongo 5 HH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassLife77, Dec 14, 2011.

1. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I was thinking about buying this bass but I noticed the placement of the bridge pickup. The pickup is kinda close to the bridge. Can this bass get that Stingray sound from the bridge pickup?

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    No. If you want a Stingray tone, get a Stingray.

3. Goodacheese

Goodacheese

Dec 13, 2011
    Also if you like slap the bridge pick up gets right in the way of your fingers D:

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It's a ballpark, but no it doesn't get you the traditional StingRay tone. The Bongo definitely has it's own sound within the EBMM family.

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Plus, and I love MM basses, but the neck pickups just don't really sound that great to my ears :bag:

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I have a Bongo 5 HH & love it but BOTH pickups are not in the ideal position or sound good solo. I have a Sterling HH which can have the bridge pickup on only & sound great, not with the Bongo. The Sterling\Stingray HH is MUCH more versatile as in it has more sounds that sound good vs just quantity of EQ like the Bongo. I have to stick to pretty much neutral pickup blend

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I've had a Bongo 5HH and a Stingray 5HH. I would run the Bongo either both pickups or bridge pick up only as I thought just the neck pickup didn't sound as good. I felt the same way about the Ray HH. I would use both pickups together, but never the neck alone. I also don't care for p basses either. I have found that I have to have a bridge pickup on a bass. :)

8. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    It's not exactly like a Stingray but not in a bad way. Like others have said, it has it's own tone but is also probably the most versatile bass that I own. I have 2 and love them. Don't be afraid to try a single H either.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    This is all opinion and personal preference, of course, and everyone is going to have slightly different opinions about this. I tend to play the single pickup basses more often, but when I do play the HH or HS, I love to solo the bridge pickup and dial in some bottom and get that nasty, snarly, growly tone. I do think the bridge pickup on the HH/HS sounds a bit thin when flat, but I figure they put the knobs on there for a reason.

10. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I think if you want the Stingray sound specifically then a Ray is the way to go. A Bongo 5HH is a crazy flexible bass though, and in my opinion is a better all-around bass than the Ray. Both nice basses, but if I had to choose one I'd take the Bongo.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That depends where you slap. I've always found any MM instrument to be pretty slapper friendly. The bridge pickup has never been an issue. The neck pickup on the other hand, I can see that getting in the way for some people.

12. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Looking at this demo Music Man Bongo 4 - YouTube I can hear the bridge pickup is too far back for that Stingray type sound. I really want that sound option so I'm going to get a Stingray 5 HH instead

13. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Sounds like a sensible choice to me!