Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about bridge saddles on my bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rob_d, Jul 27, 2005.

1. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Something a little strange has happened the last couple of times I've changed strings on my Modulus Q6. A couple string changes ago I noticed that the first fret across the bass would have a real thin sound with no sustain...the sound you would get if your action is too low. So I raised the bridge saddles a little across all the strings and it was fine. My last string change the same thing happened but it was happening at the first two frets this time. This time it didn't happen right away though. I did a couple gigs and it was fine..then in the middle of another gig it started happening. Again, on set break I raised the bridge saddles and the sound is now fine.

I have never had to do this in my year and a half of owning this bass. I've probably changed the strings nearly a dozen times over that period of time before this started happening.

My questions are basically, should I worry about this? Will I have to keep raising the saddles until they can't go anymore? They're pretty high already. What could be causing this, and is there anything I can do to prevent it in the future? Next time, would removing the old strings..lowering the saddles, then putting the new strings on help any?

Much thanks.

2. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I don't know how to measure relief.

Also, it does have a truss rod, but Modulus' are known for not having to make neck adjustments. The carbon graphite neck is supposed to take care of that. In fact, early models didn't have truss rods at all. It wasn't until later that they started adding them.

The actions is very good. Nice and low, the way I like it. Raising the bridge saddles hasn't seemed to affect that in any way.

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I've heard that this kinda stuff happens when you remove ALL the strings and re-string them one by one...

The way it is "supposed" to go is, swap out one string at a time, being sure to keep all the tension that you can on the neck... One string getting swapped out and tuned to pitch souldn't make a difference, but removieing ALL THE TENSION can cause some of this junk to happen.