Question about bridge screw spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NetRngr, Oct 20, 2017.

1. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    I am splitting a former thread as suggested and posting the relevant parts in these threads so here goes...
    I am an aspiring Luthier. I have taught myself how to do my own setups , fret leveling etc etc but I find myself in a pickle on a item on my Yamaha bass I am modding as a "learning" project.
    All setup and neck work has been done but I find myself put off by the flimsy stamped bridge on this bass. It actually looks flimsier than the on on the early 80's MiM Squire I am modding.
    On this end I was wondering if the hole spacing for the bridge is the same as a Fender. It LOOKs the same but I dont want to pull the bridge off the Squire to take detailed measurements.
    This is the bridge I am looking at:
    Bass Parts Resource :: Aftermarket Economy Bass Bridges
    BB-E4-C
    It seems like it should just drop in and the one I have on the Squire is awesome especially for the price. I emailed the vendor but as we all know they aren't the greatest at answering email. I dont have a problem plugging and redrilling a few holes but would rather not if possible.
    Id the screw spacing on the Yamaha TRBX174 the same as on a Squire? They appear to be the same but would like to be sure before ordering. Same number of screws and look to be in the same place.
    Any help would be great.

2. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I have that bridge. Measuring the screw holes, they are spaced 19mm apart , center to center.

3. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Thats awesome thanks. Looked up the specs on the Yamaha TRBX-174 and they say the spacing is 19mm as well. Im guessing since they are using a vintage style bridge they are using the generic spacing to allow for the easiest upgrades etc.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If you are an aspiring luthier, better tool up.

Measuring in place:
    Machinists rule(r) You can measure from the left edge of one screw head the the left edge of the adjacent screw head and get an accurate center to center measurement.

You can use a digital caliper. You ca measure as above or you could insert the calipers points into two adjacent screw sockets and get a pretty accurate idea of the center to center distance.

202dy likes this.
  5. NetRngr

NetRngr

Oct 20, 2017
    Darlington, SC
    Just an update so i dont leave this hanging. Thanks guys. The bridge was a spot on match for my Yamaha and damn near a full match for the Fender Squier series. Two screw holes are a bit wonky but I have that bass torn apart and have filled all the holes etc and am converting it from the cheapo one ply single piece pickguard to the more modern 4 ply with the Chrome electronics plate so mounting will just require redrilling the offending outside holes as the middle three line up perfectly.
    Just finished the color coats on her Went with a nice metalflake purple. Thanks for the help guys.

Attached Files:

J.D. Detroit likes this.