Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about bridged mode on SWR SM-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DigMe, Aug 11, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey everyone! Yesterday I ordered an SWR SM-500 from the infamous Gard (who I only recently realized was infamous after reading the forums here :) ) at Bass Central. Gotta a great deal on it but anyway, last night I printed out the owners manual from the SWR website so I could check it out while I'm waiting for it to get here and I noticed something that I didn't previously realize.

It says that you can only run the amp bridged through the speakon connection. There are 1/4" outputs for running it in stereo but not in mono and there are no banana jacks. My Eden D-410T cabinet doesn't have speakon, only 1/4" and banana jack. So it looks like I'm going to have to buy or rig some sort of adaptor.

My question is this though - Is there any problem with using a speakon to 1/4" adaptor?

Also, how much power is coming through the 1/4" jacks when the switch is flipped over to mono mode? There is definitely power coming through the 1/4" jacks in mono mode but are those jacks somehow remaining in stereo while the switch is on mono? The literature seems to indicate that the 1/4" do not put out the bridged power but it's kinda vague.

Anyone??

brad cook

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It shouldn't be too hard to find or make a speakon to 1/4 inch or speakon to banana plug cable.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Try American Musical. They list cables that are speakon-to 1/4".
    Hope that helps.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks for the info but my problem is not finding an adaptor. I'd really just like to get answers for my questions above from someone who has experience with the SM-500. See the last two paragraphs of the post for my questions. Thanks!

brad cook

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Rigging a cable with speakon on one end and 1/4 on the other couldn't be easier. You don't even need to solder. Just be sure you have the right pins hooked up.

If I recall, the 500 bridges mono through the speakon out, as you indicate, so what you'd get through the 1/4 outs with the switch in mono is the same as when the switch is in stereo. The only way you'll get bridged mono is by plugging in the speakon.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I've made 1/4" cables into banana cables before and I would prefer to make a speakon to banana instead of to 1/4" (which is even easier than making 1/4") but it's been so long that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to tell which wire's the ground and which is hot when I cut upen the the speakon's cable. How will I tell? I can't even remember how I used to do it.

brad cook

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Generally speaking, black is usually ground and white is hot. Of course, it doesn't matter as long as you're consistent on both ends! For Speakon, you'll need to know what the pin numbers are for + and -. For instance, on an EA amp they're +=1+ and -=-1. I imagine that's what the SWR uses too as it's considered "standard." Check the manual. Assuming you plan to modify a cable with speakon on both ends, just take off one end, making note of the + and - designations and then wire up your banana's. Should be a piece o' cake.