Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about bridges...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Aug 28, 2000.

1. I have this project where I am building a bass, and I need an idea for what I should get for a bridge. It's the last bit I need to buy for the bass. Should I get a full Temelo system, or just a hunk of metal that holds one end of the strings? I play mostly metal/punk, and do a lot of solos, if that helps.

Rock on
    Eric

2. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I sugest a HUGE hunk of metal to hold one end of the string. I also prefer string-through. but that is up to you. The more mass, the more stability. I hate those old cheep fender L-plates that come on older p's and J's. http://www.warmoth.com has an awesome bridge for under $40 it is huge, and has all the adjustments! Nothing like a big shiney hunk of chrome by your right hand!!

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Those cheap Lplate bridges STILL come on Fender basses. Check out the MIM jazz.
    A Badass II bridge should do the trick. It's a pretty solid, dependable bridge.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey eric, try an abm bridge, at allparts.com . all my conklins use them - very massive, great tone.

5. Cool, thanks guys. I will go see how much they want, and get back to you on what I got.

Rock on
    Eric

6. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    what is the advantage of having a 'larger' bridge?

7. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    bridges as well as woods, more mass=brighter tone. This does not sacrifice bass either, for the most part. Ebony has brighter tone than say...rosewood. A massive bridge is more stable, and brighter than a cheep L-plate. I think this is a favorable tone...there is always the EQ to take out some treble if need be.

8. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey thats new to me thanks

9. Well, Top028, you shall be happy. I went and ordered the 4-string gold version of their bridge. The money will go into the mail tomorrow.

Rock on
    Eric

10. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    that is cool man...kick ass bridge...you can use string through or stop the strings with the bridge. have fun w/ it...Allparts.com had some rocking hardware but thier prices were out of line...by $30 on some parts.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <center> This is da bridge IMO - ETS Tuning Fork Bass Bridge System...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I don't know if they have a website or are available in the U.S.</center>

[Edited by JMX on 09-16-2000 at 05:40 PM]

12. hazbass

hazbass

Apr 2, 2008
    I just got a Squire p bass special and am wondering if a badass V will fit it ?

13. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    The Badass V is for five-strings, dude. You're going to want the Badass II, I think; depends on how many screws your current bridge has. If it's bolted on with 5 screws, you want the Badass II. If it's 3 screws, you want the original Badass I.

14. hazbass

hazbass

Apr 2, 2008
    I forgot to say that it is 5 string!

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    http://www.ets-hardware.com/

ABM does not exist any more but there is quite a lot out there in terms of bridges (not news to anyone ,I know:smug:)

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    none.
    It is just a different thing in terms of tone.
    I personally like lighter bridges.

17. my favorite bridge right now

Hipshot Vintage bent plate, can't beat the top loading, and ball hiding lip :)

18. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    I swapped the Fender L-plate out of my MIM P-bass for the BA2 and love it.

19. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Heavier bridges arent more stable! The fact of a saddle slipping or wobbling has nothing to do with the weight of the bridge, but how its built! For example, the usual fender plate bridge becomes quite stable in the moment they have grooves beneath the saddles.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    +1