1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about buzzing cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigHome, Sep 13, 2010.

1. BigHome

BigHome

Sep 13, 2010
    Hello all, advice needed...

recently got a new amp that is 50 watts greater than my cab... 450 head and 400 cab. Since i've been playing with that head and a VT Bass pedal, the cab has started making an awful buzzing sound, like screws are loose or worse. What is causing this and how can it be remedied? Been gigging the cab for 8 + years without this issue.
    thanks a ton for the advice!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You may be pushing it too hard, either with sheer power, or low end eq. Either way, the cabs rating is it's thermal limit, not what it'll actually do. Most cabs will get you halfway to their rating before giving out.

3. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    Sometimes things shake loose. And sometimes the speaker it's self could be the problem. I once had a buzzing in my cab from the crossover shaking loose and over heating. Cracked circuit board.........

4. BigHome

BigHome

Sep 13, 2010
    So what's the checklist for going through an amp with a buzz? I've tried tightening all the screws on the speakers, cab, etc. already and am unsure of what to address next.

5. BigHome

BigHome

Sep 13, 2010
    Anyone able to offer any advice on how to troubleshoot a buzzing cabinet?
    thanks

6. Possibly an overheated/blown speaker. Take the grill off and very carefully push each speaker in and out, listening closely for scratchy sounds. If you hear noise, the speaker is dead and needs to be reconed or replaced.

7. BigHome

BigHome

Sep 13, 2010
    ok, i tried pushing on the speakers, they all seem perfect with no scratchy noise. is there something else that i can try to troubleshoot this?

by the way i am my cabinet is 400w and my head puts out 450 watts. i also use a vt bass, could the vt bass put the output from the head over 450 watts?

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Moot, as the cab thermal rating is probably at least twice what the drivers can handle before exceeding their excursion limits. If there's nothing physically wrong with the cab try turning down the volume and/or the bass EQ.

9. BigHome

BigHome

Sep 13, 2010
    thanks bill ive been playing this setup for about 8 years, but soon after i got the vt the cab started buzzing even at half volume, so i cant turn it down more for it to be usable at a gig.

10. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Your new amp might have more output at infrasonic frequencies (below the enclosure's tuning). If the cabinet is a vented system, you have to be careful of that. When you drive a speaker (either a bass cab or a sound reinforcement/PA box), below its tuning frequency, it causes the woofers to move past their safe excursion capability. Try backing off the low EQ and see what happens.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That tells me that the VT is the problem.

12. Thread locker on all the fasteners.. move all TNuts to socket head cap screws.. layer of foam/sealant around all of the handles etc.

13. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    If you can, take the grille off the speaker and watch the drivers while you play. If they move too much, move erratically or don't move at all, then you'll find the problem

14. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    i have a similar problem.
    cab buzz.
    if i press down anywhere on the baffle it goes away.
    happened out of nowhere. worked fine, then the rattle appeared.
    its a chinese built ampeg b200r cab & those have a history of weird shakes and stuff.
    don't know if its worth trying to find someone and pay to check it out or cut my losses.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021