1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about cab matching.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by perkidan, Nov 22, 2010.

1. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    Ok, so I had a matching set of Eden D112xst cabs. I needed to get some quick cash to grab a bass from here, so I sold one of the cabs and another bass to pay for it. This leaves me with only one Eden cab, which isn't quite enough for some of the gigs I do. I can get an Avatar 112 (one of the older ones) at a decent price locally. The Eden is 250 watts at 8 ohms, and the Avatar is 400 watts at 8 ohms. Would there be any detriment to running these cabs together as they handle different wattages? Currently usin a Peavey Nitro Bass head, but soon intend to go to something like the Carvin Bx500, or GK MB500. Any help appreciated. If it matters to anyone I play classic rock, country, some funk and blues. My bass is a 5 string Yamaha BBG5.

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    There should be no problem using both speakers. That will push your amp to 4 ohms, and the Nitro should handle that with no problem. That should provide up to 300 wts into both cabs (total, not separate), if you are maxed out on the controls (doubtful). :) You should be fine.
    No, don't worry about matching the wattage of each cabinet. That is the MAXIMUM that you can run through each one worry-free. More than that...no worry-free. You're good.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, you're probably good. matching is always best when possible, but if not, it's still going to sound better than one or the other by itself. at least it does to me.