1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about cabs that don't break backs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kgoism, Sep 26, 2008.

1. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    Hey all,

I come to seek the knowledge of fellow bass players.

I play in an alternative band that plays in Drop-C. As a result, many cabs do not put out too much when I hit that open string. So I settled on the Ampeg PR410HLF.

I love the sound of it, but it's SO HEAVY!!!

I was wondering if there were any light cabs that could handle a drop-C tuning.

Thanks guys,

Keigo

2. Avatar B212 neo gets my vote.

3. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    Thanks. How about epifani, Markbass, or begantino? Do any of those handle low frequency? And are any of them really, really powerful? I'm using a 1972 SVT and an SVP 1600 and SVP Pro.

4. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    Bump.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Hoffman's Iron Law: Goes low, plays loud and is small. You can have any two of those characteristics in a speaker, but you can't have all three.

6. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    How about, goes low, plays loud, and is light? Can that work? It doesn't necessarily have to be small.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Light and small kind of go hand in hand, don't they?

Who makes a big & light cabinet? What would it be made out of?

8. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    tecamp.de

/thread.

9. use a single 15 instead of 4x10, the frequency response is much better and the cab MIGHT be a little lighter too.

Problem is what others said- can't have your cake and eat it too. To reproduce that low a frequency you need a large speaker with a big magnet and a solidly built cab to carry the extra weight of a big speaker.

Do yourself a favor- go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get 4 swivel casters. I know it doesn't help you on stairs or lifting up to the stage but rolling from the parking lot all the way to the stage is a heck of a lot easier than carrying. Plus you can put your head on top and eliminate carrying that too.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. A well designed cab doesn't have to be heavy even when it's large, and neo drivers also help keep the weight down. But lightweight construction methods are labor intensive, ie., expensive, so they're seldom employed.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    How about bi-amping a 2x10 plus a sub-woofer?

12. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Dividing the weight up works too. I've been playing a Bag End ELF 118 sub (only 70 lb) with a full range 212 cab. It's kind of the best of all worlds. First, the ELF (now they're called INFRA) subs from Bag End require a separate, one rack space integrator - kind of a crossover/electronic gizmo that enables fairly light, sealed sub cabs to extend their low frequency reach down as far as 8hz (inaudible). The ELF also needs its own amp channel, so your typical stereo power amp is fine. The result is really clear ultra lows - dropped C is not a problem. The full range cab just does it's normal thing and takes care of the rest of the frequency range. The ELF cab is very compact (much smaller than typical 118 cabs), so rather easy to handle. Cost is not prohibitive (on a good week you can snag the INFRA sub and integrator used for about $550 on the 'bay.

Just a thought. :ninja:

13. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    hmm... Well thanks for the input.

I've been looking around, and was wondering:

Does the Bergantino NV215 possibly solve this problem?!

It's 95LBS, 600 Watts, and can handle 38hz.

14. Normally I would agree with this, but I heard a MarkBass 2x10 today that changed my opinion to the norm... it was low and loud! Very, very tasty. The catch... expensive as a mofo...

BTW, I am building YOUR 2x10 soon and expect no less! My wife got me the schematics a couple of months ago and I think that winter break will be the time to go for it. Don't let me down Bill (or let me way down low...).

Ox.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Did you try the bigger front ported 210 or the Traveler? That cab will go deep and loud, but compared to the smaller Traveler cab, it's not as loud. The Traveler cab is also lighter on the low end, so there's your tradeoff. So if you compare apples to apples, Bill's actually right. But in that case, it's not a big enough difference to notice or care. It's still plenty loud.

16. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    uh, NV215?

17. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    Check out Acme Low B cabs

I use a 1x10 for acoustic and small gigs with an Acoustic Image head
    Small/light/portable

Acme also makes larger cab configs for those in need
    Good luck

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    couple things to keep in mind,

with the lower tunings you're using, you'll need alot of power regardless! those low low frequencies need ALOT of wattage/energy to get them moving, and a key part of trying to achieve the tight punchy low sound you want is in getting as much wattage as you can possibly afford.

one caveat to all this, you're definitely NOT GOING TO HEAR THE LOW C'S FUNDAMENTAL NOTE WHATSOEVER. no bass cab that two people can carry and that's affordable by everyday players can do that. none. you're only going to hear the higher order harmonics [sic] if anything. so, most of the higher end cabs that hit a nicely healthy 40 Hz or lower is sufficient.

with that said, and since you're already looking at higher end pricey cabs, there's ol' epifani ul410. pretty flippin' loud, and has a big expansive window rattling low end. and yea, its light! hmm... sorta flies in the face of mr hoffman i guess. ;) and there's the new berg ae410. its not nearly as muffled as the HLF cab, but is a distant cousin of sorts in sharing a bit that fat bottom lower mid thick sound. both cabs are very light, and handle lower freq's than most cabs you'd find at your local GC.

course, there are two cab companies that pride themselves on hitting the lowest of the notes i've experienced:

try accugroove, where the el whappo is a great candidate. does a low 29Hz (-6dB), hits a loud 102dB, and weighs 77 lbs. these are just specs from the website, but trust me, its a loud low cab if there ever was one. its not as lower mid fat muddy as the HLF, rather the accugroove stuff is highly articulate and detailed. but if you want that extra lower mid low end grunt, the accugroove cabs take to EQ'ing like gangbusters.

and like it was mentioned, an acme B4 4x10 goes pretty flippin low. but acmes need alot of power to get 'em going, and frankly, they're not as loud. i'm guessing your music is more metally/hardcore in nature, and thusly, i'll hazard that you'll need two acme 4x10's in the least. but holy crap, a pair of B4's w/ a QSC 3602 is like an instant-fault-line-o-matic.

also, the real key might be for you to get a bass with at least a 35" scale or longer if possible to keep that flabbio string from sounding all flabbio.

since you live in kenneth square, pa, which i'm guessing is the one near philly, take your bass to Bass Specialties, and stop reading crap on the internet.

19. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    the epifani UL410 easily handles the lows, is very loud. and is very light relative to other 4x10s

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    JJ have I been playing Bass to long? I just cant hear that super low stuff. My ears will not discern the notes.

I would say articulate when it comes to that Low Down Low Down, is better and 35 scale also as well as some super freaking wattage.

Might even try a QSC PLX380 maximum output is 8,000 watts bridged into 4 ohms.:bag:

Also maybe think of Bi-Amping and seperating that super low stuff into a seperate cab.