Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about cabs with different ohm's...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozzyman, May 30, 2005.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Ok, I have a hypothetical question that I have never really known the answer to.
    Let's say I have a GK 1001RB-II. Now if I were to run this through a 410RBH at 4 ohms and a 115RBH at 8 ohms what wattage would go into each cab?
    I know the overall ohm will be roughly 2.33, but would each cab get equal wattage or different?
    With the 115RBH's sensitivity being 3dB's higher than the 410's, are they percieved as the same volume?
    These are just some questions running through my head. The main thing I'm wondering is if an amp is in stereo mode, does each poweramp output relate to the cab ohm it is going into or the overall ohm of both cabs?

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

1/3 (233.3w) to the 8 ohm cab and 2/3 (466.6w) to the 4 ohm cab.

Possibly they will be of equal percieved volume. The 115 is a tad louder but he 410 is getting twice the power. But the only way to really know is to try it and listen.

If an amp is in stereo mode, each discrete amp will see the impedance of the cab that it is plugged into it.

But the GK 1001RBII is NOT a stereo amp.

There are two amps used for biamping but that is totally different and they are of different power ratings (700w + 50w).

:D

Joe.