1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about Carvin outputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chuck3, Jan 28, 2015.

1. I am interested in the Carvin B1000 but I see that it (and other Carvin amps) have, as speaker outputs, one Speakon and one 1/4-inch output. Do I have that right? If so, what is the theory behind that? Why wouldn't they just have two Speakon outputs?

link ==> b1000-rear.jpg

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    cost?

3. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Some speakon jacks are not como jacks and can't accept a 1/4" plug. Many cabs are 1/4" only. It probably just to make it easy to plug in either cab type.

4. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    My guess is it's just for variety. If you only have speakons you're still okay. If you only have 1/4" you're still okay.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No good reason AFAIC. At this point in the evolution of the bass amp, dual Speakon outputs should be standard - across all makes & models.

MM

6. 2.6kHz

2.6kHz

Jul 9, 2014
    Stow, MA
    Wow, that's weird. The speakon jacks on my bx1500 are combo jacks, so they can take both types. Looks like the b1000 is speakon only with a separate 1/4". When I ordered my bx1500, I ordered combo jacks from carvin so I could convert my cabs which only had 1/4". So they have plenty of them, LOL, don't know why they did not use a combo on the b1000? Looks like they may have wanted to do dual combo jacks but not enough real estate, and a 1/4 takes up less room.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I like the combo jacks on the other Carvin models. They're very useful, and can accompany both speaker end types while cutting down on used space on the backplate.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Combo Speakons are green. If the socket is black it cannot accept a 1/4" phone plug without damage.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021