1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question About Changing Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Mar 16, 2009.

1. I recently did an experiment with my strings. I've been a Sadowsky SS string user for a while now but I wanted to see if there was anything out there with more tension. I found that Elrick makes a pretty high tension SS string with the B string being .130. Sadowsky also uses .130 for their B string gauge.

When I switched I noticed that my action was quite a bit higher than usual. I took it to a local shop here in town and he lowered the action and adjusted the truss rod accordingly. After playing the strings for a month they're now pretty dead. They died rather quickly for a new set of $35 strings. I'm probably going to go back to Sadowsky SS strings since I like the tone better but I'm worried that I'll again have to get it set up all over again. Should I be worried or go ahead and switch without worry? I don't want to drop another $74 on a set up.

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    My suggestion is to learn how to do a setup yourself. It's not that hard really. This should help http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125382. Then you can change strings anytime you want and not have to pay a tech's over priced fees. Hope this helps.

3. That would help but I've always been too scared to mess with set ups and my truss rod. I tweak it from time to time but that's the extent of my expertise.

Thanks for the link.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    You'll probably have to set the bass up again, as the bass was adjusted to handle the added tension on the neck from the Elrick strings. The added tension from stiffer strings makes the neck bow a bit, which increases the distance from the frets to the strings enough to notice a change in playability. The neck will have to be adjusted again to handle the return to the lower tension Sadowsky strings.

I'll echo the sentiment that truss rod adjustment is not all that difficult. Acquire the skills and save yourself some money.

5. For now I just ordered some new Elrick strings since I'm going to be using my bass quite a bit here this next few weeks. I still have a brand new set of Sadowsky strings waiting to be put on though.