1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about changing to alternate tunings

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Paulhauser, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Paulhauser

Paulhauser

Aug 1, 2006
    Hungary
    For some it may seem like a silly question, but I'm not really experienced, and would be happy to get some opinions.

I have recently auditioned for a band and I had to learn two (cover) songs to show them what I'm capable of. The originals of the songs are played in standard BEADG tuning, but the band plays them 1 whole step lower, because of the singer's range. If it would be only a low D, I would not worry cos I have the 5 stringer, but the low A is used a lot.
    Because the time was very short, I just learnt to play the originals in standard tuning, then lowered my bass tuning to ADGCF, because I'm very unfamiliar with Drop D / A tunings and played with the band like this.
    I got the gig, and now I'm facing the question of how to tune my bass now.
    Other than this gig I never use any other tuning than the standard BEADG, which is familiar for me and I practice scales etc. in this tuning.
    This a Spector Euro, and I had no problems with the bass itself with the lower tension of the detuning.
    It also is my main and best sounding bass.

What is your advice?

- 1. keep the original BEADG for the bass, and when needed for the gig, just lower the B to A and learn how to play in Drop A tuning
    - 2. keep the ADGCF and learn to use this tuning to play everything else I normally do (not a good idea, much more work than 1.)
    - 3. get another bass for this gig, tune it ADGCF and leave like that (most convinient I guess but I find it hard to justify "wasting" a bass for solely this purpose)

Thanks for the input guys.

2. Matheau

Matheau

Nov 27, 2006
    I haven't used a capo on a bass guitar, but that might be a viable option. You could tune to standard tuning with a capo on the second fret and then to switch back and forth is just a matter of taking the capo on and off. You would just need to shift anything you are playing in standard tuning down two frets. Might be worth looking into if that would work for what you need.

3. richard simmons

richard simmons

Jul 20, 2006
    I would practice the songs in ADGCF tuning. The looser string tension takes time to learn, and I think it would benefit you to have practice with it.

4. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I would go with option #1. It would probably take too much time to go from ADCGF and back in a gig. It shouldn't be that bad to adjust to one string for a song or two.