1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Circle K strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, May 1, 2010.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I am looking at either Traditional or Balanced for stringing BEAD on a Fender jazz bass. I am also going to tune down 1/2 step on all strings , so I am thinking .142 .106 .080 .061. Now considering the Jazz has a small , bolt on , 34 " scale neck, as far as tension goes, which would be better the Traditional or Balanced? I play with a pick also. And please explain why. Thank you.

2. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    what is the difference between 'traditional' and 'balanced'? I'm in the industry but am not familiar with Circle K strings.

To go that low on a 34" scale neck, yes, the bigger the better for your strings. If you can find an extended scale (35" or more) bass I think that you'll find that that tuning sounds a LOT better.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    You may have a fit problem there. The headstock end taper on the B is too long for BEAD tuning on a regular jazz bass. I just tried this with the .136 set on my American Deluxe Precision four string - no go. The B just barely fits the new five strings, but the B string tuner is further from the nut on those than the standard E string on a four banger.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    First I've heard that the taper hit the tuning post on a standard 4 - glad to know this. As it's a Fender and a larger post than most it ought to work, but keep me informed please...

Are you already at B on this bass? The .006 can tend to itself if your run the string through the slot a few times - gently - to widen it a bit. Consider a new nut if you haven't switched over yet. As a pick guy I think you'll appreciate the gauges at B and E.

Go for the balanced set if you aren't dissuaded by the input offered.

6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I have only tried a Dr DDT 130 and its core broke immediatly when I started to tighten the string. They are sending me another, but I think I want to go with the Cir. K balanced set anyway. I have a nut that I filed for BEAD already waiting. How exactly do i "run the string thru the slot a few times?" I have never done that.

7. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Place the full-width string into the slot. If it is larger than what has been cut in it will rest on the two top corners of the existing slot. Lightly place your thumb on top of the B string and gently saw back and forth until the string reaches the bottom of the slot.

Try to do this with the full-width part of the string nearest the tuning post/taper so as not to do this with any of the speaking portion of the string.