Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Classical bass song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by punkbmx03, Feb 5, 2005.

1. punkbmx03

punkbmx03

Feb 5, 2005
    I am doing my senior project on bass guitar. I have to play a classical bass song, something from the 70's and a current song. I already have two songs I am going to play but I cannot find any classical bass songs. Does anybody have recomendations on good classical songs for bass? The song cannot be longer than 5 min.

2. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    How about something from Bach's Cello Suites? Or something from Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez - maybe the "Adagio"? Neither would be easy but you might be able to make a nice arrangement...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you're mixed up there - you mean :

"Classic Rock"

(i.e. a "song" from the 70s - unless you mean 1870s!!;) )

-which is very different from Classical music!! :meh:

4. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I thought it sounded like a difficult assignment!

OK, how 'bout "N.I.B." from the first Black Sabbath album? Or "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith? If you're feeling really ambitious then do "Roundabout" by Yes...

5. punkbmx03

punkbmx03

Feb 5, 2005
    I did not mean a classic rock song. I need to play a relaxing bass song from like mozart beethoven or bach. But everything people suggests i cannot find on the internet or in the stores. I wanted to play Eccles sonata but I cannot find a recording for it if anyone has it that would be nice.

6. punkbmx03

punkbmx03

Feb 5, 2005
    I would buy it, the money is not the thing but I want to hear the work before I buy it and I cannot find it online or anywhere else for that matter, but thanks.

7. Dave Grossman and Jean Baudin are both Bach freaks. Maybe they'll be by soon.

8. bach cello suites man, its hte way to go. you'll play the prelude to the first suite and realize that it seems oddly familiar.

9. punkbmx03

punkbmx03

Feb 5, 2005
    That piece does sound good. The one I heard did not have a very prevalent bass line though. I needed to play pick electric bass not with bow.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I think he was refering to playing 3 different songs. One classical motive (ex Fur Elise), one classic rock song (ex What is and Never Should Be, and one current song (ex Hysteria).

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    So I was right! I thought it was 3 different songs...

Playing the prelude to the first Bach Cello Suite would probably mean playing everything, though you could play it with a pick.

OK, how about playing the double bass part of Holst's "Mars" from The Planets? The only problem with that is that it's in 5/4.

Are you going to be playing along with a recording or with a group or solo?

12. punkbmx03

punkbmx03

Feb 5, 2005
    I like Adagio and the Prelude. I was just wondering if it would make that big of a difference without a bow. I dont think it will matter. I wish I could get a recording of Eccles Sonata for Bass but the prelude or Adagio will work. Mars is a little to upbeat, I need to play a relaxing song. Yes I would play solo but I can have the CD playing. Thanks for everything.

13. Bust out a sweet electric bass version of The Four Seasons by Vivaldi. Not too difficult and you'll find yourself doing it even more justice ;) .

14. Here's another vote for the Bach cello suites - there are hundreds of recordings of those suites out there, so you should be able to locate at least one. Yo-Yo Ma does a good rendition, probably the most commercially available one you'll find.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Here's a link to some good transcriptions of several Bach suites as MIDI files.

http://www.jsbach.net/midi/midi_solo_cello.html

You can download the MIDI files and print them as sheet music, assuming you have a MIDI reader on your computer.

I did the Prelude to no. 1 for my performance final last year, it went over well given that I was the only person who didn't play a jazz tune of some kind.

16. punkbmx03

punkbmx03

Feb 5, 2005
    I like that website thats nice! Thanks

17. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    There are some great recordings of bassists playing the Bach cello suites that you should definitely check out if you are going to play one. Edgar Meyer has a fairly recent album where he recorded 3 of the suites on double bass - a technically impressive and musicall beautiful album. John Patitucci recorded the Prelude to the 3rd Suite in G Major on his album "Heart of the Bass" He plays his 6 string electric on this, another gorgeous recording. The rest of the album is cool too - he is featured playing both electric and acoustic on an orchestral piece. Online, check out Dave Grossman's J.S. Bach on bass page. It has some beautiful recordings of Bach's work played on electric bass. It also has some good historical/musical info about Bach. Good luck, great stuff for building musicality and chops!

Dave's site:http://www.jsbach.net/bass/

18. If you want to hear what the first Cello Suite sounds like, it's being used in a commercial for Pedigree dog food. I know this because the Westminster Dog Show was on last week...

Another vote for Bach, though I'll say that the fact that everyone is telling you to do the Cello Suite thing perhaps suggests that you not choose #1 (G major)... the instructors probably won't be surprised. Pick one of the other ones.