Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about clear coat

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by optikill, Sep 16, 2003.

1. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    My cirrus tiger eye's clearcoat is cracked on the lower horn.... is there anything i can do to fix this? It's a crack that is not very visible but is there anything that i can do to smooth it out?

2. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    anyone know?

3. I assume that the clearcoat is some type of polyurethane. If so, you can use a solvent to melt it and blend the finish together. I have done it before on pistol grips, but I let a luthier with a great rep deal with the chip on my favorite natural finished Tele. My friend who put the chip there and I can hardly tell the repair was done. It looks brand new.

4. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    what sort of solvent?

5. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Watch out for using solvents on your bass. My guess is the clearcoat is either polyester or some type of catalyzed urethane. SOLVENTS WON'T MELT THESE FINISHES! If you have a glass-like fracture, then it is a sure sign of these two-part topcaots. Nitro-cellulose is the only finish that will re-melt with a solvent applied. And even then, that is not the way to fix it. I would recommend taking it to a qualified luthier. People are doing amazing things with cyanoacrylate (super-glue) these days. This is the line of attack I would take, but only by inspecting the bass first hand could a luthier figure out how to fix it. BTW, there are tons of slightly qualified "luthiers" out there. Know the reputation of the person you are dealing with and ask if he/she has ever done this type of repair before.

6. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    would it be helpful if i post a pic of what i'm working with? I just don't like it and I don't want it to get worse....

[​IMG]

7. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    bump...

8. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd offer a suggestion, but I can't figure out the picture. Maybe try not such a large or close-up photo.

9. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    I'll post a better pic when i get back to my computer. I guess I forget that people don't have their resolutions set as high as mine ;-)

if anyone else knows - please help