question about combining DB&EB amps..

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rob_d, Jul 11, 2002.

1. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I looked through some of the newbie FAQs and didn't see anything that gave me a concrete answer so I'll ask here.

I'm a long time EB player and have recently(finally), got an upright. A nice late 40s Kay, but I digress. Anyways, I've been looking at the Acoustic Image amp on Bob Gollihurs site as a definite possibility for an amp for the URB. However, I've seen mixed reviews about using it with the electric. I do have a Hartke 4x10XL with a Hartke 3000 head that I've been using with electric which suits my situation fine. Does anybody have any idea if the Acoustic Image coupled with the 4x10 would be adequate. This way I could sell the Hartke amp head and hopefully have a good set up for both electric and URB. I play in a world fusion band. It gets pretty loud with the trumpet, tenor, percussion and drums cooking, and my current electric set up handles it fine, but I'm concerned for when I add the URB to this mix. So I guess I'm looking to find out if the AI and Hartke combined will be satisfactory for my situation both with the electric and URB. Thanks for any info.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Which pickup do you use with the upright?
    Do you use a preamp?
    If the Hartke setup works well with the upright too, don't change anything!
    If the tone is thin, brittle and nasal, it may only means that you need a preamp as a buffering unit between the pickup (I assume it's a piezo) and amp input.
    Piezo pickups need to 'see' a very high input impedance to deliver the most natural tone.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Agreed. Definitely try the Hartke both with and without a preamp. A 4x10 sounds like overkill, but if it's what you've got and you're used to moving it, it might not be too bad. Most amps have a "sweet spot" volume-wise which often lies within the first half of the dial on both the pre and power amps, and by using a 4x10, you'll be moving a lot of air without pushing the amp too hard. It might sound decent. However, if it does, I feel sorry for your back.
  4. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Thanks guys. Yes, the Hartke is a monster to move around, though with the wheels it isn't too bad. Add the new double bass to the mix and I have no reason not to be in good shape just going back and forth to gigs!

Anyways, about the pickups/mics, I guess that's my next question...I'm an idiot when it comes to sound and such, especially with the new DB. I was looking into some of the pickup/mic set-ups that Bob Gollihur has and will probably do something along those lines. Any suggestions? I'll be playing probably 90% pizzo, at least until I learn to use the bow more. I guess I'll go ahead and try playing with just the Hartke for both basses first before plunking anything down on an upright amp then. Thanks for the advice.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. Again, if you browse through the Links thread, you'll find what everybody likes...also, you can check profiles for this. Off the top of my head, I use a K&K Double Bass Max/Trinity mic combination, Ed uses a Realist, Ray "The Exorcist" Parker uses an Underwood, DONOSAUR uses a Double Bass Max........ you get the idea.
  6. Hello Mr. Rob,
    The question I have for you is when Playing live do you go threw a PA System? I use a 410 set-up also. I find the 410 to be powerful and clear for both EB and DB. I will say this, I rearly play and not go threw a PA also. The 410 I have is a little weak in the low Bass. Small Gigs I elect for an 15" combo. As for Pick-ups, I use the K&K Golden Trinity Mic. I do wish I would have bought the BassMax because at high Volumes it does tend to feedback. I run the DB threw a Boss Bass EQ so if I do get feedback I can drop that Friquency"cant spell". Bob is a very nice Gentleman and will help in a wise pick. I played in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and went threw PA only and was fine....EB and DB. All that to say your 410 will be fine. As for transport, I few years back I bought a moving Dolly. Great investment, just dont get one with Air Tires....Good Luck

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off...
  7. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Thanks again guys. Yes, I should know, I have to find my sound for myself...but I'll give Bob a call when I'm ready to make a purchase for some advice as well.

Dave, I'm yet to go through the PA on any of my gigs yet. If anything, I get people saying the bass is too loud as it is. Of course since I'm standing right in front of the amp I can't tell, but the bass sound expands as it goes out. Part of it is needing better monitors and a good sound person working with us. Anyways, it will be a relief if I don't have to buy another amp, on my wallet and my back. And yeah, I have some wheels for the amp, a definite life saver.
  8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps... Buy a cheap simple
    pickup. Perhaps an Underwood.
    (cheap & good) Next, get something
    like a Fishman bass platnium eq.
    Put that signal into the effects loop
    input to bypass the electric bass preamp.
    Relatively cheap, simple and should
    sound very good. ........ OR.............