Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about combining different cab brands...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Sep 17, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    To those of you who use two (or more) different brands of speaker cabs together, did you try to determine in advance how they would work together?

Obviously, one never really knows how a cab combination will sound until one plays it, but is there any way to at least get a rough idea about how a cab combination might sound by looking at the specs?

I'm looking to put together a bigger rig, but I haven't found an speaker that satisfies ALL of my needs at once - I love the Ampeg sound, but it wouldn't be practical for all of my gigs - I'd also want something uncoloured, like an EA.

Still, I wonder how an Ampeg and an EA might work together - any way I can make a [semi-]educated guess?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You'll never really know until you try them together. Haul your stuff into your local store, if they're worth shopping from, they'll let you do it.

Just looking at the specs, you can compare sensitivity ratings to see if one cab will be more efficient, and therefore louder, than the other cab when used together on the same channel.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Thanks Eric. :)

bumpy bump bump