1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Concentric Vol/Tone Pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassmunnky, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Thanks for reading..Go easy I'm no techy, but I've read enough here hopefully to be able to ask the right question.

I'm thinking about having a Pbass put together for me, and I really
    like the idea of the simplicity of one knob, for both Volume and Tone
    on the bass.

IS there such a thing for a P Bass? Can I just get one "classic Jazz Bass
    volume/tone pot" and use that?

I've been reading about NO LOAD tone controls and how at 'setting 10' it
    by-passes the control to give you a little brighter sound.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it strikes me that a concentric pot is going to have less "simplicity" than a regular volume and tone, not more. it sticks up higher, and is more touchy to tweak on the fly.

do you use the tone knob much? it would be easy to bag it entirely if you leave it all the way up, or wire a resistor inside the bass to recreate a certain setting if you leave it there all the time.

wait, the gripweeds? :hyper::hyper:

i did sound for you guys in a little bar called the taphouse here in norfolk, va several years ago. (seth from the mockers set it up.)

you guys are great!

the new-music show on our local public radio station ("out of the box", whrv) just happened to play a new song of yours a day or so ago, and it was ragin'! like Yes or ELP covering a long-lost outtake from Revolver.

3. A concentric pot is not any simpler than a regular two-pot setup.

As Walter said, it's just going to be difficult to adjust on the fly.
    When you turn one knob, you will frequently adjust both knobs accidentally.

If you want the simplicity of having just one knob, skip the tone control and go with a single volume.

4. If you're desperate for you tone and vol with only "one knob" I think a coil-tap would work, maybe? Thoughts from the more savvy guys?

5. That makes no sense whatsoever.

6. I have that set up on a Lakland 'P" bass (modded 55-01). It is great! It's super quick and easy to adjust.

IMG_3898-1.gif

I ended up adding a 'J' pickup so I kept up the style and added a concentric pot for that as well.

IMG_4023-1.gif

I wish all my basses were configured like this. I highly recommend it.

7. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    A single stack knob control is just two pots with the same shaft going through both, with concentric controls. A few have already pointed out that it's not really simpler, but if you want it for the appearance or whatever reason, it will work.

8. Meh, I can't say that I'm a fan of having such a huge pickguard with only one knob on it.

If it were my bass, I would have 6 knobs and a mini toggle to fill up the space.

9. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    You could put a push-pull pot, wired as push for volume, pull for tone. But that won't be a NO LOAD pot (not quite). It'll either be a tone load or a volume load but not both.

Plenty of people like having a volume knob and no tone knob, since for some they only leave the tone on full anyway.

10. Yes, you could do a push-pull for volume (tone control removed from circuit) or tone (pickup wired straight to jack.)

Seems pointless though.

11. Personally, I don't care for pickguards at all (or unnecessary, non functional knobs). But I had to cover 4 holes and a huge route with the original concept. I just haven't gotten around to updating the guard since adding the other pickup. Besides, I think the OP is more interested in the pot than a guard .. :D

12. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I find it odd that I really dig that setup, as my usual practices tend to lean towards line6man's penchant for switchery.... but it speaks to me as a stacked knob lover.

Also, I've personally found passive tone control to be one of the best things I can imagine for tone tweaking, so I can relate to the OP's desire (as well as Grateful's) to retain the tone adjust, as well as a simple, scaled down look.

And from a standpoint of wiring it up, it's really not any harder (maybe easier, just more intricate) than a V-T separate setup.

As for No-Load... I have no clue, but good luck with the project!

13. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    YES..I saw this picture when I was searching.

Thanks for all the responses.

Part of this is "Look"...part simplicity.

Live...The bass is full volume...Tone open...or bypassed altogether..

Studio, I would have some use for the tone knob, and since I'm never making changes on the fly..I'd love it.

I've been reading about people doing MODS with No load Tone controls..that have 'clicks' when you turn them...1-10..

Setting 1 would be Highs rolled OFF...
    Setting 10 where the Tone knob would be bypassed.

Thanks again for the replies and opinions...I may have to go with the two knob set up if I can't find a concentric with a No Load option..

Keep talkin', I'm reading

WALTER....! Fancy meeting your here..awesome..get to our site, get the new tracks..(a bunch are free download).

We want to come back down there!

m

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021