Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about connecting amp to power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by razorbakc, May 7, 2004.

1. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I have an Ampeg B2R and a Crown XLS 402. Ive got it hooked up and it works, but its not done right. As of now I have a mic cable running from the balanced output of the B2R into the input of channel 1 on the power amp. From th eoutput of channel 1 on the power amp I rigged up an old cable to the two posts into my cab. Now, I really want to connect it correctly and use both channels.
    The problem: My B2R has a 'power amp in' and preamp out' jack, but I cant connect it to that becuase of the mic cable required for the power amp input. Then there is the two inputs for the power amp, do I just use some king of Y cable?

Should I connect it through the "power amp in" "preamp out" or like I have it?

I know my description is horrible, so if needed I will take a picture later tonight.

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    In a nutshell: You should take the preamp out from the ampeg and plug it into one of the inputs on one of the channels on the poweramp. Use a high quality patch cable that is only as long as you need. It sounds like you need a cable with an XLR connector on one end and a 1/4 connector on the other. Your local music store probably stocks a similar cable. You could also build your own or buy an adapter to use on one end to convert to the other type of connection. SEE EDIT BELOW....

Run the output of the same channel into your cabinet. I'm not familiar with Crown poweramp so I'm not exactly sure what kind of outputs you have available on that model. Most newer power amps have 1/4", Bananna plug, and speakon outputs. The speakons are the best IMHO, since they lock into place. Any of the three outputs should work, you'll just need a different type of cable depending on which one you use.

I'm sure your Ampeg manual and the poweramp manual have more specific details. I highly recommend that you consult both of them.

Here is a link to the crown manaul in pdf format:
    http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/133465.pdf

Here is a link to the Ampeg manual:
    http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/B-2R.PDF

You'll need Adobe Acrobat reader to view these. You can download Acrobat for free at adobe.com, here is a link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Familiarize yourself with both manuals. Then come back with questions you might still have about the stuff your not understanding.

EDIT: I was just looking at the manual for your ampeg. You can use the XLR output and acheive the same effect as using the preamp output. That way you won't need a special cable. Any balanced XLR cable will work. Once again I recommend the shortest length possible. You probably want to run the XLR output "Post EQ" and be sure and configure the output for "line type" inputs. The manual for the ampeg has nice diagrams and explanations for all of this.