Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about custom string length...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Mar 8, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I should be getting my new Warrior 6 in a week! The only problem with the Warrior, is that the B and E strings must be 37" to go through the body! I am interested in Dean Markley's SR2000 strings...do they come in Super Long scale(at least 36")? I've been using Thomastik Jazz strings on my Jazz bass(and loving them!), but I cannot buy an extra long B&E from them. What to do?!

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I too had the same problem (I needed a string length of 37").

I contacted every retailer and manufacturer for info...and I actually got the info I needed from another bass player who took the time to measure his strings for me.

I'm not sure about the TI string length. Are you sure you need the "extra long" string length? I thought I would with the Labella BNT strings, but it turned out that their standard strings work just fine for me (even on my 36" scale..which is actually 37").

E-mail the manufacturer for EXACT specs on their strings. i'm sure someone else on this BB can help you too. Good luck. It seems it's easier to get confidential CIA info than it is to get info on strings for a bass!!! :eek:

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You might ask John Turner, too. I think he uses 2000's and you know what his instruments look like.

If not, maybe DR or Fodera Extra Longs???

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    >the B and E must be 37" to go through the body! I am interested in Dean Markley SR2000 strings...

I'm pretty certain that the Dean Markley SR2000 will not work through the body because the tapered portion at the bridge end will run out before the string even contacts the saddle. Scale length has nothing to do with this, as these strings do not work through the body on my 34" Fender Jazz. The only "taperwound" or "exposed core" string that I know that will work through the body is Rotosound RS99 piano string design roundwounds. These have an adjustable ball end that allows you to make the core portion as long as you need.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Stupid me!;) I will have to find a string with complete winding on the B. Perhaps I will stick to Warrior strings. I like D'Addario Prisms, but they have a Tapered B as well. Such as life!:)

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Have you thought of trying any of the stainless steel DR strings available? The Lo-Riders are my favorites! As far as I know, none of them have tapered B strings in the sets so you may be in luck if you want to try any of them.