Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Dean Edge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by War Word, Mar 29, 2005.

1. War Word

War Word

Mar 29, 2005
  2. War Word

War Word

Mar 29, 2005
    After browsing this forum a while, it seems like everyone is recommending the SX basses. I see that they are in the same price range as the dean edge 09 and the squier bronco i was talking about, so how does the SX compare to them?

3. War Word

War Word

Mar 29, 2005
    And I guess the last part ;)

If the SX is better than the models i mentioned, what would be the best bass for... to put it as simply as possible.... a begginner who wants to play Beatles songs :)

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That Dean is fine. It's equivalent to an SX P bass, but has a different look and feel. With the quality of basses these days you can't go wrong with any of theones you've mentioned. I personally would avoid the Bronco unless you're in a Talking Heads cover band.

5. War Word

War Word

Mar 29, 2005
    So if you had to decide between that dean and an sx, what would you pick!?

Also, I see some SX's have P&J pickups. So are they like a combination of precision and jazz basses or what?

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You'll probably need to do a little more initial set up work with the SX than you will with the Dean, however, the SX is a little bit more substantial bass, overall, than the Dean at that price range. Search on SX+setup in this forum for more info about the SX setup issues.

Either way, though, the quality of both basses in that range is about the same .......

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Sort of, the P/J pickup configuration is what some people call the "best of both worlds" as you can get both a bassy P bass sound and the "bite" of a J bass bridge pickup.
    Both pickups on full gets you another clean, often-used bass sound. Personally I'd go with an SX with P/J config because it's more versatile than the Dean, but this may also because I prefer the look of the Essex basses.

I'd also avoid the Bronco because it has a short scale neck, you will probably find it won't deliver low notes as well as basses with standard necks.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can not fairly answer that question. I owned the Dean Edge fretless that you see me playing in my avatar for 4 years

I would therefore favor the Dean....

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i own both SX and dean basses.

the sx is nice for the price, but the fit and finish of my dean q4 euro model is flawless.

personaly for a first bass, you cant go wrong with an SX p/j bass, but the dean i feel is better constructed.

10. War Word

War Word

Mar 29, 2005
    Well, im leaning towards an SPJ-62 now. Although im also thinking about a squier affinity(precision). How do those two compare?

11. War Word

War Word

Mar 29, 2005
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Wow, that was a quick turn of events ....

Hey, as long as you're happy ... that kind of fits in line with the other basses you were looking at. You'll probably find that the amp is only good for practicing in your bedroom, though ....

Good luck with it :D

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice catch. You'll be happy with that combo I predict.

14. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    A Rogue Hofner Beatle Bass imitation.

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Dean I bought for a few dollars more is exceptional for the money. No problems. The Edge I bought has Bartolini pickups.